Aftermarket Kit APEC Disc & Pads

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by tomwillie, Sunday 30th Aug, 2015.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Any opinions/experience/feedback etc on use of APEC Discs & Pads as alternative to HONDA OEM ones?
    Editor would not permit change of title from APC to APEC.

2. micko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark micko copenhagen
    If you bed them in correct then they are as good as OEM.

I used brembo on my old Civic and they were much better then OEM. U just have to bed them in correct.

U have to accelerate to 60 fast and brake hard down to 10. Repeat that 10 times and after the last time u drive until they cool off.

But you may never brake to a full stop under the process. After the 5th or 6th time u will get a lot of brake fade but that's normal.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Done :Hey:

If you have problems Tom, just ask. We will always help if we can.

4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks for feedback, advice on running them in & correcting title. They get quite good reviews on Piston Heads etc so will give them a try on my Accord who's front discs & pads are coming up for renewal. . Estimated cost from independent workshop is £232.32.

However, I'll stick to Honda OEM on S2000 to maintain its hopefully increasing value.
    Cost to replace rear Discs & Pads on S2000, with 10% S2KUK members discount, is £275 by Honda dealer, cost of APEC equivalents by independent workshop is £148.98 by way of comparison. If independent workshop used OEM components the cost is £275 ie as Honda dealer.

5. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Re micko's advice on running in new disc's & pads I believe this applies to competition ones. In my S2000 & Accord handbooks the advice on "Break-in Period" is: "Avoid hard breaking. New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for first 300km (200 miles) " In the handbooks it states this advice also applies when brakes are relined.

The APEC brakes & pads proposed are equivalent to the standard OEM ones.

6. micko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark micko copenhagen
    In my opinion if the brakes can't handle the hard bed in then they aren't good when it's really matters.

All OEM brakes i have tried it on was perfect after. But like all other stuff there are different opinions and ways off doing things. That's the beauty off the forums, we get a lot advice, opinions, ways to do stuff.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @tomwillie that was the old way of bedding in brakes. Modern thinking goes away from thi,s with repeated hard braking from 60mph down 20mph (ie not coming to a halt) and repeating this a number of times.

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Having studied other forums I agree that competition/race pads need special bedding in but this does not apply to standard OEM ones so I will follow advice of the handbooks which has served me well in over fifty years of motoring.

Apparently even if bedded in by repeated hard braking the transfer layer eventually wears off & the whole bedding in process has to be repeated. Thus it is a futile process for normal road use.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That is a valid point, it does wear off quite quickly.

10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Not sure it's relevant to cars, but with the bikes I was always lead to believe to avoid hard braking with new pads as it glazes the pad which looses it's effectiveness. Moderate braking a for given time was the best way to bed them in, not always possible on race bike though :-/