Off-Topic Apple TV Version three

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Monday 22nd Apr, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    After being nagged by my eight year old I finally caved in and bough her her apple TV. I was :Blink: for all of it features as are superscription based and more geared towards the US market with little UK content.. but a after week of playing around with it not that bad after all.

I can use the TV as she airplaying her slideshows music or youtube clips.

Anyone got one tips tricks and hacks anything to make it better please share.

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got version 2. You can hack the box to do lots of other things. I'll have a look an post some links.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud.. looks like you can't hack version 3 yet

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I just checked as of April 9th they still haven't released a jailbreak for ver 3.
    They've been trying for months now.
    It will happen hackers love a challenge.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not to worry I won't be jail breaking it in warranty thou.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but if I wanted something to be able to watch things from YouTube on my main television, would Apple TV do it?

What are the other options like - the Google TV version for example - considering I am an 'all Apple' household (iPhone, iPad, iMAC)??

I've looked online, but don't really understand it all - I'm not bothered about extra TV channels as SKY has everything I need, but there is some really good free stuff on You Tube and I'm fed up with having to watch it in my office on my iMAC!!

HELP!

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I have used Amazon Fire Stick TV, Xbox360 and the £10 NowTV box to stream YouTube so I don't see why Apple TV won't do the same. One thing I must mention is that the three devices that I have mentioned, you can pair your phone's YT with them and can search and 'push' videos to these devices.. its so much better than moving arrows to select a letter, just type on your phone, find the video and 'play'.. viola, the video starts playing on TV!

Roku, Google Chromecast can also be used.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Useful, thanks @legend-ary :Thumbup:

I've just looked at Amazon Fire TV, and that seems to offer the best of all worlds as it also has BBC iPlayer etc. which i don't think Apple TV has. I won't need those right now on my main TV as I can access them through SKY, but as and when I upgrade my main TV to one with internet options built in (over the next 2 years or so I guess) I could move the Amazon / Google / Apple TV to the small TV in my bedroom and access them through that (as that only has Freeview, no SKY).

legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

yeah Amazon Fire TV seems to have the most apps. Amazon Prime TV, Netflix, YouTube, all the catch up TV apps from UK channels (ITV, iPlayer, 4OD, 5 etc).

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Be aware with amazon tv, they have recently said they will stop supporting rival software or something along those lines.

If you have a Smart TV then you already have apps for youtube etc built in.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Iv got V2 but haven't a clue how to jail break.
    I just what now TV at the min for £10 a month for films

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    How good is the film selection on NowTV? Quite tempted to give it a try, Amazon Prime was full of mostly shite.

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

they have only said they won't sell Google and Apple devices on Amazon as both of them won't allow Amazon to keep the profits from sale of content [both google and apple want their cut]
    anyways, NowTV boxes are sometimes on offer .. going £10-£13 for box + 2 months movies so you get discounted subscription + box that you can try and sell for £5 or something . . lol

what i did was, at the end of my 2 month offer, I tried cancelling and they gave me movies for £7 a month for 3 months, i accepted, then at end of 3 months I attempted to cancel again and they gave me 6 months for £5 a month :Grin: so thats what i pay.. at the end of October the offer finishes so lets see how it goes.

I don't use Amazon Prime, Netflix is best if you want Tv series + massive collection. NOW TV probably gets most movies first so even if the collection is small, I have watched more movies on it than Netflix. I can take some screenshots of the available movies so you can decide
    - - - Updated - - -
    one thing I must add.. NowTV's old box [white one] can only do 720p streams. including Youtube, NowTv, iPlayer etc [it doesnt have amazon or netflix] The new NowTV 2 box [black] can do 1080p for everything but NowTV! so if you are bothered by it, avoid. I wasnt. as for £10 including 2 months of movies there was nothing to complain about.

FirstHonda and exec like this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks all. I may investigate a new Smart TV instead, as they are only £400-500 for a good one (always thought they were more!) and may be better than spending £100 on one of these options and then changing my TV next year anyway. I have a 10 year old Oanasonic plasma, so I can almost certainly upgrade in terms of picture and sound ( and size).

If I do go this way, I'll probably go for the Amazon Fire though...thinking cap on!

legend-ary likes this.
  15. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    I think is very good indeed as its run by Sky so you do get quality films

16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

@FirstHonda just buy a NowTv box for £10.50 and enjoy smart tv functionality until you get the new tv.
    Link:

or if you fancy watching movies, get the one with 2 month movies pass for £15 (movies pass normally costs £10 a month on its own)

Only thing tech sites warn about is, Smart Tvs apps might not get any update after first year or so.. and you will be stuck with same software till the end of tv's life. These boxes they see regular updates and are so cheap you can just buy latest every couple of years. but either way, you can decide for yourself what you want so best of luck :Smile:

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers for info, their website show slist of films, much larger than Amazon, but reading around it doesn't seem all that great. Might pass on it, theres always Plex and plugins :Whistle:

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Back to this...I now have a smart TV, so have YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Amazon etc. on my TV. Good.

BUT as this new TV is in my weekday flat rather than my main home (long story) I want to find a way to watch my SKY GO from my iPad on my TV. From what I've read, Apple TV is the way to do that as my LG Smart TV isn't compatible to link using 'Smart Share.'

Anybody know? Does that sound about right?

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I guess someone who owns an Apple tv might be able to answer better but the only other option i can think of is what a colleague of mine once mentioned. He is using a dongle that outputs from apple port to hdmi. 30 pin to hdmi is on ebay for £5 while lighting to hdmi is £30ish. As you can imagine it will be quite a wierd situation with a 2m cable going all the way.

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Ed if you have a smart TV then there should be app for Sky Go (pretty sure Samsung TV's have it, not sure about LG), I would suggest having a look if you havent already as that would make things a lot easier then buying an apple tv and faffing around connecting all the time and streaming.