General Approved Used Honda Cars.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karl_T, Friday 16th Jan, 2015.

1. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Honda dealers advertise one of the key benefits of buying an 'Approved Used' is the multipoint inspection. Is there any way of finding out what's supposed to be checked?

Just taken mine in (to my local Honda dealer) for an outstanding recall, and whilst there to get the handbrake adjusted that wasn't holding. My gut feel is handbrake operation probably is on the list, but 1/2 hour labour isn't worth the fuel to drive it back to where I bought it, and get them to do it. The thing is my local garage, as part of their routine checks whilst they had the car, have found something else unserviceable and in need of replacement. So I'd like to know what is and isn't checked.
    I've asked for the sheet for mine, but no luck so far. Do you normally get a copy. I did with Audi.

(Only had the car 2 weeks so this isn't wear and tear.)

Karl

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There you go :Niceone:

Attached Files:

Karl_T likes this.
  3. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Thx Ichiban.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    I've just bought an 'Approved Used' Honda with its 'Multi Point Inspection Report', two weeks later I took it to my local Honda garage to get some outstanding recall work done, and got hit with 4 advisories based on the 'Vehicle Health Check' they did.
    Three of these items weren't even on the Multi Point Inspection, the other was but hadn't been done.:thumbdown:

So, if you're buying from a Honda dealer I'd recommend you get the dealer to do both up front and provide both reports. Given how much praise Honda heap on their own used car quality and service I don't see how they could argue. And it might save you some money on bits that you suddenly find you need to replace....:brickwall:

As for the rationale behind Honda omitting checks on cars it sells, that it routinely makes on cars we bring in. Well, I wait to hear back from the dealer.

Karl

6. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    If you've only just bought the car, you shouldn't be dipping into your pocket.

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Health check advisories are based on opinion unfortunately. One techs lethal is another's it'll be fine I'm afraid.

A problem with MPC's is that work could be found but not rectified due to a penny pinching sales manager who is more interested in profit margins rather tan safety and a fair deal for the customer.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I have to deal with certain penny pinching sales managers all the time. unfortunately 99.9% of dealers answer will be its a ''used'' car and in that respect should not be as new etc etc. the time between the multipoint checks highlights the difference between a sales prep mpc and a retail mpc. a retail mpc is for the benefit of the customer to identify wear and tear and items needing attention. its for the customer to be given the opportunity to have these items rectified. where as a sales mpc is for the benefit of the sales manager to decide what is reasonable to be repaired/replaced and retain some sort of sales margin. safety related items such as brakes and tyres, engine issues, suspention etc should be repaired no quibble. however its common place for asthetic items and parts of the vehicle that are not of a safety concerns. wear and tear is subject to opinion and in an ideal would we would love to provide all new owners with brand new brakes and tyres but this caunt reasonably be done.

brian62c likes this.