General Arcticfire's dilemma oil or performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 21st Sep, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Done about 5,000 mainly local miles with it in since May (I think). Quite a lot of hard driving as well though and had to top up about 1 1/2 litres during this time.

Spark plugs are almost brand new, valve clearances perfect (done them all a few months ago - monster tutorial is on here :Smile:), Air Filter replaced on Friday just there, throttle body cleaned, EGR plate cleaned, fuel and injector treatments done, fuel filter changed about a month ago, always Super Unleaded from Shell, once with Esso and now always BP. No vacuum leaks present. No fault codes. Can't think of anything else! lol

I'm not saying performance isn't good, it is but not quite what it was. Feels kind of slow on the uptake even when starting at 4,500rpm. Something is different, I can feel it.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Re: Engine Oil Viscosity

Still some pressure left in the tyres:lol:?
    No serious, other reasons I can think off: sticking brake pads or wheel bearings?
    I hope it's not the simple fact of a worn out engine (would surprixe me)? Are you able to do a compression test? Do you see blue smoke when releasing throtlle at high speed or when startin up cold engine?

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

No blue smoke, front discs and pads just done and caliper grinded smooth. Don't know about wheel bearings, how would I check for this?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Graham you need a second pair of eyes on your car , to ensure you have not missed anything I can believe for one second the issues you have buddy.

Come down to Leeds I will sort you out for free!

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Cheers for the offer (again) and I'll definitely get this arranged. Two recent things I can think of is firstly one of the four bolts holding the air filter housing down has sheered, could this be causing a problem? I don't think it will as it's still held down tight and it's not like there's masses of pressure in there. Secondly, I've got a third party air filter in (£29 from Honda really is ridiculous). Is the engine being starved of oxygen perhaps?

I'll definitely try to get down, my mate still wants to remap his Astra but he's being quoted £350 up here and we think they are going to use older model maps because apparently they haven't done one for the 2013 model yet (uses a new diesel engine I think?) Some are saying they can use the Insignia maps but he'd rather wait until a specific one for his car is ready. It's going into Vauxhall for diagnostics soon as the MPG on the motorway is 15mpg less than is officially quoted for combined!!!! Then it's remap time! lol

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

if your air box is not closing properly yes it will cause all the idling issue .. if you do this on a diesel it become so apparent you can't miss it as it forced induction...if two of the bolts have sheared off that means once upon a time too much force has been used and nuts have slipped out the plastic moulting. Why did not you tell this before :Unknown: you could have saved all this messing about!

You will need a new/donor air box personally or you go aftermarket route..

As for remap I personally avoid them like the plaque, so no idea about the cost and recommendations.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

The bolt only sheered last Friday when I changed my air filter (before putting that Ram Air kit on - and then straight back off lol) this is long after I've been having the idle problems. I've noticed you can buy the bolts so I may just see if I can fix this?

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Here's a quick clip of me overtaking from 40mph, what's your thoughts on performance as I'm not sure?

Cheers

[video=youtube_share;F01Yw3fbw8c]http://youtu.be/F01Yw3fbw8c[/video]

(I was hoping to do 1080p on youtube but it's done it at 720p!!!)

Update: It now seems to offer 1080p

Last edited: Monday 30th Sep, 2013
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

blip throttle then shift down down then TWO for a quick pass..provided its safe to do it.

looks ok to me bud see you were only using half 1/4 throttle there.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Thanks, so that'll get the revs up in high torque area before engaging the gears? What do you mean by "TWO"? 2nd gear? I'd dropped to that as I was at 40mph so good torque to drop into, unless you mean different?

Cheers

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

TWO throttle wide open:Wink:

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Nice, been doing it today and works well!

13. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is Opie oils saying that the only criteria is oil viscosity and meeting ACEA oil sequences do not matter, as I have observed before an oil at same viscosity can be bought with different ACEA sequence qualification

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Looking back at this, how would blipping the throttle have improved things here?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

But I had anticipated the overtake before the oncoming car had even passed so the revs were already up to the ideal spot for maximum torque for the overtake (you can hear it) unless I'm missing something else here? For snap decision overtaking I can see how beneficial it is. Never did it on the bike, didn't need to for where I was riding to be honest as the bike had more than enough power.