General Arduino and Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpeedyGee, Friday 19th Sep, 2014.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Just wondering if anyone is into doing stuff with Arduino boards or Raspberry Pi's ?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    not yet but would like to bud.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I was going to build a media centre Pi a couple of months back but got side tracked. I'd been considering one for a car PC build for a little while.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Media Centre using a Pi is really easy, do it mate. It won't take you long at all to setup.

Pi in the car, I haven't looked recently but I'm not sure there is anything we a decent enough GUI suited for in car use as yet.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I already did it with a more powerful machine mate. It doesn't matter whether there's really anything Pi based, anything designed to run on ARM should be fine, Linux or Android.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Toyed with the idea of slapping a Nexus 7 into my car to use as a sat nav unit, hooking it up power and audio wise would be fairly simple but it wouldn't grab a GPS signal and I havent found a way to boost it yet. I just love this theme though, showing my age now as used to watch the show as a kid

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could you pair a Bluetooth GPS receiver to it. Think I've toyed with that in the past.

Last edited: Sunday 21st Sep, 2014
    Nighthawk likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I was considering doing a dashmounted Nexus 7 on my '03, kinda forgot about the idea on the '07 as my Sat Nav actually worked :Laughing:

With the Pi I wanted to run a lightweight Debian installation and use it to store and sync dashcam footage with my home server mainly, but also play media if I choose to do so.

...but then I've also though about doing a Windows Mini-ITX build and using the Sat Nav screen for a live readout of various sensors through FlashPro.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    You know, I didnt even consider that option - ohhh the missus is going to slaughter me.

I quite like this option

IMAG2223_zpsaeme1f2i.

IMAG2235_zps5gwoyg8l.

gps_zps57a65762.

Attached Files:

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah the dash top ones are a good route for the 7th Generation, thing is I think they look a bit weird when you already have a large Sat Nav screen.