Autocar Are Chinese car makers now coming of age?

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Monday 22nd Apr, 2013.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

Signs at the Shanghai motor show were that Chinese car makers are improving their design skills, even if their engineering lags behind Will the Chinese car companies ever arrive en masse and sell in big numbers in Europe? Looking at the cold hard numbers, you’d think not.
    Chinese car companies are barely troubling the scorers in their own market, let alone dominating it. No Chinese car maker managed a share greater than four per cent in a market of 13.2 million units in 2012.
    But judging by what I saw as I strolled around the vast Shanghai motor show halls at the weekend, there are now signs that the Chinese could be on the cusp of a breakthrough.
    I can recall Steve Cropley on his return from the Beijing motor show last year noting that while in 2011 all the cars looked like western clones, just 12 months later they’d evolved to the point where they all looked like 1980s Honda Accords.
    And the next step in this revolution happened in Shanghai this year: the major home-grown players in the Chinese domestic car market had come up with striking, individual and contemporary designs of their own that would look good on the roads or Paris or London, let alone Shanghai.
    You only had to look at the likes of the Chery B5, Chang’an CS95, BAIC 900, or Geely KC for evidence of this.
    Thankfully, the more unimaginative and generic bland boxes like the Youngman L3, or the lazy clones like one Porsche Cayenne-alike Hawtai SUV I spotted with bodywork detailing so rough you could file your nails on it (see picture) were few and far between.
    As Hilton Holloway pointed out in his blog on Chery, engineering is the next step. It's a rather large elephant in the room for the Chinese car makers and will mount a much stiffer and more time consuming challenge than being able to learn how to successfully design a car in 24 months. As one senior European designer told me, designing cars is the easy part.
    But the rapid speed in this design evolution should mean there is hope for the engineering teams, and it seems the Chinese could finally be taking engineering as seriously as design.
    With distinctly European talk now from the likes of Chery about modular platforms, advanced safety systems and downsized, fuel efficient engines, we might finally have a Chinese car that’s as good to drive as well as look at within five years.
    Will that be enough to crack the home market? Maybe not, as the dominant likes of the Volkswagen Group and Hyundai-Kia are only going to get stronger still in that time, but they’ll all certainly have more of a chance succeeding with contemporary looking and thoroughly engineered cars than with the current offerings.
    If there’s one heartening thing car sales show us is that the market more often than not responds well to good products. If – and it’s a big if – the Chinese car makers come of age, then success in Europe is not beyond them.

chang an cs95.JPG

More...

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone can build cars and cheap ones too but durability and heritage counts.The Chinese are not far off the Koreans in cloning capabilities, as for car engineering still a huge way off the reset of the world.

3. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Unfortunately that is exactly what the bosses of the British motorcycle industry said in the late 1950s/early 60s about the Japanese motorcycle industry.:Foolish:

The rest, as they say, is history!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cloning is one thing engineering excellence is another .. Unless the latter is lost by Chinese manufacturer and they get making world beaters they will remain where they are, like India. value conscious cars is a niche market already occupied by the Koreans , Chinese will have to break that mould to get on the world stage .This won't change unless they start engineering stuff which is revolutionary.

The Japanese bikes was an assault on the world with superior products and race proven technology.What china is producing and what I have seen at motors how is not history defining just concepts cars.

5. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Chinese already utterly dominate the small bike market (if you think there are a lot of chinese bikes over here, the developing world is awash with them - 1/2 the worlds motorcycle production comes from China), I wouldn't bet against them in the small car market very soon either.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The Chinese makers may come of age but we all know it the quality of the components what makes the final quality of the car.

have a read of this Japanese Carmakers Turn to Chinese Parts for China Market

Save mone but tell everyone quality will never go down hahaha strange that as it rings the same bell for Swindon made cars.

"The carmakers will never admit that quality will drop, but it will. There's no doubt about it," said an executive at a main Japanese supplier to Toyota, Nissan and Honda, who didn't want to be named as he is not authorised to speak to the media"

Need I say more how long can this propaganda be hidden!