General Are Honda issues more deep rooted than we think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Thursday 26th Jul, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In the last few weeks there has been a lot of Honda activity in term of announcements and generally portraying an image of business as usual. First there was press release regarding the new 4th Generation CR-V, Honda's entry in WTCC, NSX pre orders been taken by dealer and today's What car survey announced that Honda is top of the reliability stakes.:Smile: HRC to race the brand new Honda RC213V at this weekend race at Laguna Seca. Getting next year bike fast forwarded into this season... Come on !!

But then you see the rumours of Accord being shelved in the UK and then an admission the Swindon is scaling back on production just after hiring 500 new employees in April . http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-17893030

In three months there is a U turn? BBC News - Honda to scale back Swindon production

surely it time for a massive rethink here? do we need a top tier management change or Honda has to start going back into time and taking ideals from it founding father and start all over again?

I for one feel and fear we are going to witness a decisive change soon.:Fear:

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Sounds like there's a few people at HUK who are making the wrong decisions and leading the company in the wrong direction. Maybe it's about time some people at the top were directed to fall on their swords.

3. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    ... or more traditionally ... as founders' fathers would

But seriously this whole world is going in a wrong direction. All this green agenda, with no hard proof for man-made climate change, got us the end of age of performance Honda cars ...

I have no hope in this world now whatsoever, only few individuals left ... Let's hope the brand can stay strong, rather than crumble under the current climate

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is not the first time HUM and HUK have hire and then had a rethink.

The chronological fall of events..

The first major shut down was at the start of the recession causing the plant to be shut down for months and hundred of staff take redundancy. During the closure a huge investment made into the factory and the assembly line.

The Tsunami in Japan then the Thailand floods left plant closed from November till 20th of December 2011.

HUM reopen on the 20th and announces new jobs and prospects of growth.

Today another round to reduced production at HUM. ( Do you think the staff morale will be high and they will make high qaulity products)? let alone work there.

I think the Senior Manager at Honda Europe,HUK and HUM have to introspection themselves and resign themselves to the fact they have made very poor decisions. It is time Honda Japan took direct control of Honda Europe and steady the ship whilst the company is intact. I am sure this will be dealt with and Honda can return to some sense of normality.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rob that was out of hands of Honda.Its European legislation which dealt the tailpipe emission card , but Honda taken this legislation to the next extreme and produced cars that the customers don't want.

It clear to see the current model line up is not to the liking to the majority of traditionalist Honda customers and they are flocking to manufacturers which have not yet gone to such extremes.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Agreed new blood and new direction how can you get it wrong twice.

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I was partially affected by that as at the moment of the shut down I was working for one of the suppliers in Swindon. The problem is about 95% of people employed directly and through sub-companies for Honda, do not care about the end product. No pride in the quality of work whatsoever. Just get through your day at work to get paid, and sod the quality. There are procedures in place, but what can they do if people simply do not care. I was disgusted the way they handled the parts etc.

Sad but this is the truth and the problem of UK manufacturing in general

That would be the best thing to happen and I do hope it does. I've been following Honda for over 15 years now and will stick to my beliefs forever. I am still winning people to switch over from fords, etc, because except for the manifold I had replaced and alternator, I've been driving it without any issues for 4 years. I will be exploring possibilities to exchange it for a new car next year, and guess what brand I'll be going for ... Not a hard guess at all :Tongue:

SayamaAccord likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup I have to echo your comments I have worked and seen nearly all of the Honda European vendors and the quality is shocking and work practices are equally poor.Honda may do spot check and sample checks but we all know when these checks are happening and can be easily doctored. It the same when any company has an ISO audit or any other compliance check.

I have been to the factory and have to say manufacturing processes are as good as other factories but if these parts made in European factories are no good how on earth can the car be?

SayamaAccord likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I knew something was up when I read the Honda Europe press release and compared that with the one from Honda UK Press room both of them were contradicting each other when the new CR-V will be released. Now I have picked up on that so would have other Honda aficionados. Honda is very careful in how they portray their image and go to great lengths to ensure that. http://hondakarma.com/posts/14186/

How on earth can two press division of the same company in different countries get this basic fundamental release date wrong!! You can see the internal politics being filtered out in their statements?

Rob I am with you I have loved and cherished my working time with Honda .Swindon since 2004 have been on the downward spiral in overall vehicle quality. I love all Honda but it hurts to see below par Honda being made by Swindon it really hurts and I take it personally as I am so passionate about Honda on the whole. I know what Honda is capable of and that the reason I will only buy Japanese made Honda's.

On the day Honda like today after 7 years in a row Honda being on the top of vehicle reliability,it a shame the Honda in Europe is announcing sad new.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  10. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have contacts within Honda who are saying the UK customers will not be affected. Infact they will ensure the UK market will get more cars due to try reduced hours. Honda UK exports 60% of it produce to Europe , since the euro zone is in turmoil it makes sense to reduced hours

Additionally Honda used the recession to rewrite the entire staff contracts to do flexi time giving them the flexibility to reduce hours on will.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just as we think Honda strategy is flawed in the UK they keep on surprising us with more positive news. The have announced a further investment £267 Million at the Swindon Plant.

This seesaw effect of positive & negative news coming out of Honda Europe on a constant basis is testing your customers and your fans patience. Please sort it :Thumbup:

Honda EU press release

• Honda's biggest UK investment in over 10 years
    • 2012 production doubles on last year
    • New models and engine line
    Honda today marks the launch of the new CR-V model as part of a £267 million investment programme into new models and engines at its Swindon, UK plant. This is the single biggest investment into Honda‘s UK manufacturing base in over a decade.

With the investment supporting the introduction of:

• New Civic (Dec 2011)
    • New CR-V (Sept 2012)
    • New 1.6 litre diesel engine for Honda Civic (Dec 2012)
    500 new staff -or Associates as they are known- have been recruited and trained this year to build these new products, taking the total workforce to 3,500.

By the end of the year, production at the Swindon plant is forecast to have doubled on last year's figure, up to 183,000 units. Honda aims to increase that figure to 250,000 units per year, within 3 years .

This announcement is also good news for the UK balance of trade with 60 per cent of the production going for export. Honda's Swindon plant produces cars and engines for over 60 countries around the world, including Europe, Middle East, Africa and Australia.

The roll off ceremony for the new 4th Generation CR-V
    AOCUK_CR-V_Line_Off_Ceremony (2). AOCUK_CR-V_Line_Off_Ceremony (3). AOCUK_CR-V_Line_Off_Ceremony (4). AOCUK_CR-V_Line_Off_Ceremony (5). AOCUK_CR-V_Line_Off_Ceremony (1).