General Are paint sealants worth the money?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John999, Sunday 22nd Jul, 2012.

1. John999 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

DERBY
    Hi everyone,I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I would value opinions about the use of paint sealants such as Supagard.
    My previous car had it on I was impressed just how good it looked,but it's so expensive and I know dealers make a huge mark up on it.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes they are amazing products but not the dealership variety. Have a look at this product it is awesome Blackfire Metal Sealant .

make your own mind

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My view has always been that these treatments are rather like "the emperor's new clothes." Personally I believe you can get just as good a result yourself for a lot less money, albeit with a bit more effort (but cleaning cars is FUN, right?!!).

In the past I've used a Meguiars (from their pro range) sealant over their own polish with good results, and in the winter get great protection from Bilt Hamber auto-balm.

My brother had Supaguard on a Toyota he bought a few years ago, and was very disappointed with the durability - and amazed at the results possible at home with the right products. Try looking at Detailing World, loads of great advice on there...

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's each to their own...personally I use Collinite...got some AutoGlym sealant in the garage but don't bother so much nowadays as I find the wax lasts much longer than the sealant used to

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Collinite is made of natural carnuba , sealant are man-made synthetic which last longer. Sealant are good for durability not necessarily known for their gloss.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Interesting...I found the sealant shinier but less long-lasting!

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

If you want the best of both worlds and are happy to do lots of work, you can :

1. Wash
    2. Clay (I normally do once a year)
    3. Glaze
    4. Apply Sealant
    5. Wax

This works well if you have a wax with a good finish (like the original P21s which looks great on silver) but which isn't that durable...you can do a quick top up every few weeks knowing that underneath the sealant is still doing its stuff.

8. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Supagard paint protection

Is it worth having on a new car ?.I've had this thrown in as part of the package, is it any good.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Complete and utter waste of money bud.

10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Usually applied badly over already swirled paintwork, by inexperienced staff.

Best to do it yourself at home, if you enjoy that, or get a pro detailer to do it, directory on www.detailingworld.co.uk probably half the price a dealer charges.