General Arghhhhh! why me!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racy Jace, Saturday 20th Feb, 2016.

1. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So I ordered a bug deflector that I'd seen on ebay but paid direct to save some cash. (Big mistake. I thought I'd see if the universe would sh!t on me if given the chance. It did! Lesson learned!) The advert had the same colour car as mine so I paid £50+ more than the others off eBay as I could actually see what I was getting.

The bug deflector arrived and it's the same version as the less expensive ones on ebay! It's great quality don't get me wrong but it's not what I was expecting hence I paid more!. I can't take the wrapper off to see if I'm happy with it as I wouldn't be able to send it back or sell it! It may be fine. I just prefered the profile of the other one than I was expecting to get.

The seller has said I can either buy the correct deflector at a reduced price or send mine back, most likely at my cost as their English suddenly goes bad.

If I could sell the received deflector for £50 it would solve the issue as that's what it would cost to buy any way.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

1 picture of what i was sent on grey car.
    2 picture of what I wanted on a red car
    3 picture of what I wanted on a blue car
    4 bug deflector I wanted
    5 bug deflector I got.

1455985119341. $_3-1. $_3-3. 20160220_132647[1]. 20160220_090934.

2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I didn't know dudley was known for its plague of bugs jace ?
    You realise if you fit that it may decrease your fuel efficiency by 0.0001 miles per gallon !
    Heaven forbid lol.

Racy Jace likes this.
  3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lol. Its called a bug deflector but really it's for stone chip protection. As for MPG I've give up on that!

4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Yeah I know, I think the yanks call them bra s which sounds much worse !

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Car bras are made of soft padded material just like the ones that hold lady's boobies.:dribble: Bug deflectors are perspex and I belive they will alter the air flow over the bonnet.

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I've only seen them on sports cars ie corvettes etc, guessed they were to protect the delicate fibreglass etc.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd send it back (even if at your cost) and get the one you want. If you don't, it'll likely always bug you (sorry, couldn't resist it!)

On a related note, (and here is the chance for the universe to get me) my CR-V still only has 1 tiny stone chip (on the front bumper) after nearly 6k miles and one year. My Accord (alabaster silver) was already into double figures - at least - by this point.

I'm not sure if it is that the CR-V just has thicker paint, or whether it is the non-metallic that I have being 'thicker.' I'm sure @Zoot said at some point in another thread that his (metallic) CR-V also had hardly any chips?

Anyway @Racy Jace i'd be interested to know whether your CR-V has any chips so far - especially on the front bumper as the plastic areas were the worst on my Accord...

stuscrv likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    If they mis-described the item then you should ask for refund.

9. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    My CR-V is now about four inches shorter than when new thanks to stone chips ! !

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I bought it direct through paypal and the seller stopped responding this morning when I asked if they'd pay the postage.

If anyone wants it for £50 let me know. I may have to ask for part refund and just use it. I Won't really know what it will look like untill I unwrap it properly anyway.

I've already gathered stone chips in the short time of owning the car so I need one of these things fitted ASAP!

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Think that answers my question - it must be the colour choice that is resisting chips better. It does seem 'thickly applied' but then again it's years since I had a non-metallic so I don't have any real comparison.

It'll now get loads of chips on my next journey, obviously...:Laughing:

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You can setup a dispute in paypal if you paid the correct way and didnt 'gift' him the money, he will probably start responding then.

13. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    @FirstHonda - you are correct, I have only 2 slight stone chips on the front of my CR-V and that's after 18500 or so miles.

FirstHonda likes this.
  14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I gave up and have settled for half my money back so I'll try fitting it tonight if I get chance. I really wanted the other one as I thought it looked good in the pics. I just hope I'm happly with this one.

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a good point if you have paid by PayPal not gift aided you can open a case against the seller most respond as they don't want their reputation tarnished.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There were 2 options to send the money.
    1- as a friend no fee.
    2- as a gift./service wich has a fee.

I chose the friend option so no one had a fee to pay. I won't be doing that again!

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I give the deflector 8.5/10 for fitting. I think I may just be being picky though.

The gold sticker has been removed with a hair dryer and then WD40 to remove the remaining adheisive left behind.

20160223_172833. 20160223_172839.