Dealers/Garages ATS Euromaster Oxford - Mixed Feelings

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by RogerH69, Thursday 19th Feb, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I've been using ATS for years now, and the manager remembers my surname (which in itself is difficult for most UK people) every time, even after not going there for over a year. I am very happy to recommend them for tyres and brakes.

While I was there most recently, getting some new tyres fitted, I asked them to check my exhaust, as it sounded too loud to me. They came back and said I had to replace both silencers, the catalytic converter, as well as the 2 sensors at the cat. They quoted £680 all inclusive. Their diagnosis was 'blowing in 2 locations'

Shocked, and on advice of other HK members, I went elsewhere for a second opinion and got a different diagnosis ('advanced rust around the silencers in 2 places, but no leaks at all'). They quoted me £260 to replace the 2 silencers.

So - mixed feelings on ATS in Oxford.

2. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Shocking that they think they can get away with this sort of thing, trouble is most people don't bother with second opinions and without sounding sexist most women are easy targets for these companies.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I remember a few years ago hearing this joke radio phone call where they called this woman up and told her that they need to change the fluid in her headlights as the fluid was low and that the clutch needed replacing in the exhaust system as the fuel lines had failed. She just responds saying "oh dear, whats this going to cost". No idea whatsoever, thankfully it was a prank phone call but imagine if that was real...!!

I only take my car to garages in absolute emergencies where its a job I cannot tackle myself.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not good to hear @RogerH69 especially as it seemed you had a good relationship with them previously.

You'd think they'd value a loyal customer more wouldn't you?

5. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    I only found a garage I can trust 3 years ago and despite working in Plymouth and living 500 miles away in Paisley I will never go anywhere but Automek in East Kilbride near Paisley.
    They are the only garage I trust to work on my cars and will often stay there chatting to them whilst they are working on my car and I can see everything they do.

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

That's one reason I'm trying to do more on my car myself. Will take me while (and some tools, and a proper work area) to be able to do most of the mechanicals / electricals, but we all start somewhere :Smile:

Totally agree.

To be honest, I have not yet spoken to them, and heard 'their side of the story', and the guy that looked at the car I had never seen there before, so (I am not defending them) it may just be that the manager has too much faith in his staff (which you want to do as a manager, at the end of the day), and did not question his diagnosis. Conversely, previously, I'd only ever really gone to them to get them to replace something I already know needs replacing / fixing (tyres, brakes, battery, balancing, alignment etc.). Therefore, until now I never really had them inspect and diagnose my car, so I can't really say if this is a once off, or business as usual for them.

At the end of the day though, whatever the reason for this, it is MUCH harder to win a customer back after one bad encounter, than to ensure all encounters are good, so whatever the reason, they need to improve.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @John Dickson will fill you in the battle he has been facing with this North East dealer I had constant tourette's when we were exchanging text yesterday, the lies he was being feed by his dealer wound me up and soon John had the upper hand :Wink: with a little help.

You think external dealers are bad you will soon figure out the legendary Honda training for dealer is shocking and grossly inadequate for today, Honda now not selling many cars has attract the bottom of the bottom of any talent pool for employees which are as good as toad brains.

I will be surprised to see Honda in the top 5 for customer services in the next year if they do the CSI scored are fixed.

JD any updates on that mate.

8. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited: Saturday 21st Feb, 2015
  9. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is that the ATS by the ring road, near the Mini plant?

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yup

11. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahh. I've not lived in Oxford for over nine years. I've not thought much of that ATS branch back then when I've had to use them...

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm back at ATS in Oxford and had a chat with The manager about the issue with the exhaust. He apologised and explained he goes on the info his technicians give him. As this is the first issue I've had with them, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't trying to pull a fast one.

I do notice that the technician who said I needed a full exhaust and cat replacement is not working here , but I guess he may be on leave.

I'll keep using them for now as they do always give me a discount for repeat business, but will try be a bit more wary of inspection reports they give.