Off-Topic AUDI S3 (latest version)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 6th May, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's my nemesis. I keep coming across it and I hate the big smiles of the driver and passenger. I want one of those Roman chariot wheel knife/spike things...

Far lighter, AWD and unlike the previous one this has almost 300BHP and matching torque. Grrrrr. I'll never beat the new one without going forged pistons and rods, but that's never going to happen with me.

I've only got two options:

1. Wait for sub 3°C temperature and hope he doesn't have winter tyres.
    2. Keep him red lining for at least 20 minutes and wait for him to break down. :eek:

So, what's your nemesis/challenge car?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any small hot hatch really, you usually got some prick behind the wheel who overtakes you and then slows down a little because they're at the front of the pack on the motorway. No worries, I'll just go on the fast lane and overtake you again.. but he decides to speed up and overtakes me and it goes on.

Hot hatches don't seem to know how to use roundabouts either, even though your putting your foot flat down I'm still gonna hit you unless I slow down despite the fact that it's my right of way.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Track days mate they minute you master driving a slow car fast you will soon find fast cars are useless unless the drive extracts the maximum out. You can have majority of the cars just need to up your game :Drinks:

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not on the motorway, doesn't matter how good a driver you are - if they've got considerably more power then there's not much you can do.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well power is nothing without control.. the good old pirelli advert if you think a powerful car will leave you for dust then it pointless as you don't trust your capabilities.

I have got up with a big bikes on the IOM circuit on my bike on a 250cc bud.. it has no power to out accelerate but on twisties I left them to their disgust..loads of engine braking and no brakes to carry in higher speeds..:Grin: each car or bike no matter how fast they are they have a weakness. You will find that once you get into track days.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    With the S3 it will only be driver capability if we are talking about track days and twisties. Is got a more advanced AWD system, larger torque band, more BHP and lighter.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok mate don't seem to get the message across.

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I would just let him be and get on with his silly racing, just another knob in an Audi.

John Dickson likes this.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You are but I feel you aren't understanding me! lol

I'm agreeing that with cornering etc then it's driver ability but if it's just a flat straight race then other than being dreadful with gear changing or knowing your torque bands then the more powerful beast will win. But with this damn auto DSG then all they have to do is stick their foot to the floor and the car takes care of the rest. Speaking of which, don't you reckon having an Auto with the dual clutch takes all the fun out of it?

10. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I see see what you mean. On straight not much you can do with your skills if the other car is more powerful. They just put the foot down and keep on going. But racing shouldn't be taking place on m-way anyway, so just let them go eventually they will get caught. I'm not saying I'm not guilty of trying to show a german junk where is its place :Smile: but it should be done within limits anyway as there are other users and it takes a second ... Karting track or even GTA online is a better and an affordable way to do this :Wink:

^ this ... I often feel exactly the same!!

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Agree about limits, it tends to start off at lower speeds anyway and when quiet but a clear straight on the motorway is far safer than booting it round twisties with blind corners, oncoming traffic, cyclists etc.

I've also never been all that interested in 0-60 times, it's the overtaking times which interest me, which could also explain my love for SAAB lol But as I've said a few times, AWD is the way forward for me as for daily driving it really does provide excellent grip and safety. All these rear wheel BMW drivers going on ability purity, week I can't remember seeing one powersliding round a public road unless it's into a ditch.

12. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
  13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Lol

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    As much as I agree that driver skill does have a big part to play, you can't just go on this basis because the other driver may also be skilled - so that brings us back to the car (or bike).

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My friend recently sold an S3 Quattro (it blew up :Laughing:), I've raced it countless times in my Accord. They have insanely short gears and are really fast off the line, no chance in hell of catching him in a drag race. He'd have me off the line every time, soon as I got into 5000rpm in 2nd I'd start to catch him up but not enough to close the gap. If we were joining a motorway already at high speed and I could utilise my long gears and VTEC best I'd be able to pull away slightly with good shifting.

As for handling, I can remember a specific time in a convey with various other cars (Silvia, Golf GTI, Civic Type-R and a few smaller hatchbacks) we'd just come off the motorway and were going around a large roundabout at some speed. He was chasing the Silvia with a healthy gap and I was tailing him with the Type-R, my arse was twitching like a bugger - my backend seriously wanted to come out with the speed. That said, this was about 6 hours after having new tyres fitted, but still, there was a definite advantage to the S3 that I know I just couldn't match in my Accord set-up as it was.

What's bad about the S3? The interior sucked, the ride is absolutely terrible - you can feel every little imperfection in the road, and he had more issues with it than I can count. I could never in a million years consider owning one.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Oh I'd never want one! lol I don't like A3's, everywhere you go and also didn't like the ride. I'm sick of the sight of them. For me the Accord 7th Generation Saloon is still a great looking car and I love watching mine follow me when my dad is driving it, although not so keen on the estate, although ironically I think the 8th Generation estate is far better looking than the 8th Generation Saloon! lol

But the new one red lines at 6,800rpm and it's not just the 296BHP which I see as the problem, it's the torque band with 380Nm available from 1,800rpm right through to 5,500rpm but it drops quite sharply so the 5,500 to 7,200rpm range is probably where the Honda can make gains but I don't think the new S3 is a car to be underestimated.

The older S3 is a far lesser beast it seems as max torque seems to be in the low 2,000rpm range with an immediate drop, albeit fairly gradual but just after 4,000rpm the torque basically plummets - this could explain your considerable higher RPM gains (unless it's the very new S3 you raced?)

I've always thought VTEC is such a clever and well thought out concept. I believe the main VTEC engagement on the 2.4 Accord is at 6,000rpm so where most other cars are losing all their torque the VTEC gives you a second wind! The combination of VTEC and a Turbo would provide some very interesting tuning options lol I can't wait to see what the new Civic Type-R is like in the hands of the general public. The wait is frustrating but hopefully it's down to Honda not wanting to rush it out until it's been thoroughly tested for reliability?

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Agree completely on the 7th Generation Tourer, I don't like the look of them either. The 8th Generation looks superb in Tourer, and although I'm sure it's put off a few prospective buyers, I love the aggressive look of the Saloon too.

This was an '01 Quattro, Stage 1 Remap putting out around 285hp if memory serves. He tended to shift at around 5000rpm as you could tell that's where the power severely started to drop. He'd be swapping to 5th just as I was getting into VTEC in 2nd. It was completely like roles reversed, he'd gain power after changing up gears, I'd get the best power towards the end of my gears.

I can't wait to see what comes out to Turbo VTEC either, I mean the most reliable route and what complements VTEC best for us modders seems to be going the Supercharger route. No reliability issues and gains throughout the band.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd definitely prefer a supercharger for all the obvious reasons, easier to fit, more predictable power etc although it has to be the right kind with low down gains otherwise you just end up with all the power at the top end again - but I think turbochargers are the way everything is going because of the economy gains.

Speaking of turbochargers, I'm hearing of quite a few GTX ones failing recently and Garrett/Honeywell not being helpful at all. Apparently their blanket response is that if a turbo is going to fail it will do so straight away otherwise it will be fine forever more. Hmmm.... :nea:

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I can't stand Turbo's, just hope Honda do something good with them. What would be cool is if they did an engine where the turbo kicked in at lower RPM like 1800rpm without any lag, to give lower down torque and then shut down at 4k RPM to let old school VTEC do the job without forced induction, but i'm guessing that is not possible.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You could do what saab done and put two turbos in, one small and one big to eliminate lag as much as possible or just a small one for some initial boost and let the VTEC assist as it runs out of power