Guides Auto Boot Opening (saloon)

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Jay2512, Monday 28th Jan, 2013.

1. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Guys,

Last mod from me!!

Another one from a long time back.

Very basic write up here of how i have made my own mod to assist the boot lid with opening the full way with the use of an expansion spring. Guide and pictures below, as always any work copied is at other peoples risk!

Bits required:

1x 180mm long expansion spring
    1x 6mm x 80mm long bolt
    3x securing nuts
    1x washer
    1x 5mm metal drill and drill

Step 1 - choose a side to mod, i went with the right hand side lifting arm.
    IMG00907-20110828-1934.

Step 2 - gentle to remove the carpet trim, i suggest a blunt knife or similar to assist. Remember to remove the plastic securing clip by the lifting arm and the one behind the carpet level with the rear light.

IMG00908-20110828-1934.
    IMG00909-20110828-1934.
    IMG00910-20110828-1935.

Now i would strongly recommend removing the whole carpet assembly but I wanted to see if this could work so I worked with the carpet in the way.

Step 3- Remove the 2x plastic clips holding the plastic trunking to the lifting arm, and replace with a 6mm x 80mm long bolt.

IMG00911-20110828-1935.
    IMG00912-20110828-1935.

Step 4 - Once the bolt is through, add a securing nut to the bolt lightly clamping the plastic trunking to the steel inner bar. At this point you can now add the spring and add the washer and retaining nut, the washer is here only to prevent the spring sliding off the bolt.

Step 5 - Locate the pre-drilled hole on the body brace bar as the picture below and drill a 5mm hole on the outer edge lip (upper most). You will see I had a cable tie in place to start with to check I had the right position for the spring to provide the right tension for opening.

IMG00914-20110828-1936.
    IMG00915-20110828-1936.

I would recommend testing the boot operation at this point, again be careful and operate the boot slowly to ensure no damage is caused and the boot shuts with a bit of resistance behind it. Once closed, place your hand in front of the back window before opening with the remote. I suggest this in case the spring you have chosen to use opens the boot too fast and causes damage, hopefully your hand will prevent this!

To be honest you will have the feeling if the spring is under too much tension when trying to shut the boot, if it feels tight get a better spring as its not worth the risk causing damage or injury.

If happy with the operation then re-fit all you carpet and admire your new fully opening boot! No more putting stuff on the floor in the rain!

Racy Jace, Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I like this one a lot.Was thinking about this myself,Nice one Jay.

3. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Cheers Zoran.

I believe I still have a spare spring!! Need to find it but I know there is one in the garage.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Doesn't the the spring rub against the side trim ?

5. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Only very very slightly but if fitted correctly its hassle free. I think mine has been installed for about 1 an half years and never caused me an issue.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If it did nothing a can of aerosol plastic spray can't fix.

Jay2512 likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I was thinking more of it getting stuck or causing other damage. Anyway I'm sure with some tinkering it could set to work perfectly.

Another great mod. A video showing it working would be good :Smile:

BTW I would add some locking nuts on boths sides of this, otherwise they could work themselves loose :-

View attachment 7124

8. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    I did fit locking nuts later down the line following a few tweaks to tidy up the install.

- - - Updated - - -

Video now added to original post!

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Nice one. If I did this mod I would try and slow down the opening a little but overall I like the idea.

Good job and thanks for creating the video :Thumbup: