Engine & Gearbox auto box expert

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by motorbikelover, Sunday 24th Jan, 2016.

1. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    hi do we have any 7th Generation accord 2.4 tourer auto box experts on bored.

2. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi sorry about the repost it,s my age. i am still susing out how to navigate the site. if speedygee is on i am after a little info about the 2005 2.4 engine. it,s new to me as all my work these days is on landrovers and ford rangers and modeo,s (company vehicles) looking at the engine i take it it,s a camchain engine, is it a larger 2ltr vetec or is it in the S2000 family and does it have ajustable rockers (no they are not noisy). mine has an auto box that is a bit noisy on tickover which i new about when i bought the (he said it was the alternator) but i dropped him from £1800 to £1100 to cover the cost of a rebuild. i intend to drop the box in the summer and get it done but it does however change smoothly and work as it should and has done for the last 3k. i took it to my local auto trans man who told me it was the belt tenshioner that was making the noise (it,s not) had my scope on it it,s the gear box or taque are there any known faults on these.i wanted a red 2ltr auto tourer but they never seem to come up or if they do they are gone instantly but i love this one so i will carry on.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No worries, it's worth having a read of the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) http://hondakarma.com/faq/

The 2.4 litre engine (K24) is indeed chain driven. It a K series family engine which is based on the S2000 engine. It has variable valve timing and the valve clearances can be adjusted (there are guides on how to do this on this site).
    It has a longer stroke than the 2.0 litre (K20) engine and that's where it gets the extra 0.4 litre capacity from.

The tensioners on these can become noisy. What you want to do is remove the aux belt and then see if the noises go away by briefly running the engine. You can also spin the various pulleys by hand (with the engine off of course) to see if they are noisey.

The auto gearboxes are quite reliable on these. Have you checked the level of the auto box fluid (again there is a guide on how to do this). Perhaps it's low or perhaps the fluid needs changing (yep there's a guide on how to do this on the site :Smile:).

By the way if you add an @ before a hondakarma username it will tag a person and that person will get an Alert which highlights that they have been mentioned in a post.
    Like so @motorbikelover :Smile:

hondream and legend-ary like this.
  4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

What kind of noise is it out of interest.
    I am no expert but my car is a 2004 2.4 tourer manual. When its cold the engine makes quite a loud whining noise for some time until its warm. I change the tensioner and tried running it without the belt and its still there. on research apparently its quite common and something to do with the timing/oil pump chain drive and is not an issue at all. Mines been making this noise for 30K (2.5 years) and is now coming up to 95K on the clock. Its not got any worse in that time. My car pulls like a train and the noise goes once its warm (its till there but very hard to hear)

I was wondering if that might be what your hearing?

hondream likes this.
  5. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    That's a lot of car for £1,100

6. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi sorry for late reply been decorating. answer to that,s a lot of car for £1100 trade in price for the car is around £1100 to £1500 and i will have to have the box out to sort the noise so the car is priced about right plus it was his wife,s car and he just got devorsed and wanted it gone. ( i sold my wife,s motor bike while she was at work and that nearly led to devorse plus i had to buy her a better one). thanks for information on the engine. noise IS on gear box been to another auto box man who agreed with me but does not know what the noise is.any way light fittings to fit so must get on.

7. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    as already mentioned on here, change the automatic gearbox oil & filter first and see what happens.

what's the mileage?

8. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi gave car a full service when bought including gear box used Honda gearbox fluid mileage 116000 k noise hAs not got worse hope it keeps ok for a couple of months