Engine & Gearbox Auto box noise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Thursday 12th Feb, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Guys , just wondering if anyone else experiences this with their Automatic gearbox, basically there appears to be a sort of slight whining noise when coming off the gas at around 20-25 mile per hour and box has dropped down into say 2nd gear, sounds very much like the noise you might get from a manual gearbox on over-run if you know what I mean, may well be normal what with the torque convertor etc., been a while since I last had an Auto box but don't remember this happening, maybe just a Honda thing!LOL
    Cheers Pete

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    No probs mate, fluid level is good mate and has just recently had a fluid and filter change, this noise is only very slight and after trying to study the behaviour in more depth as it were, l I've noticed the noise is more when the lights and internal fans are on , so effectively more loading, so beginning to think it's more coincidently to do with more load on the alternator if you see what I mean, to be honest it's barely noticeable when I have the radio , mind you speaking with another owner that had the 6th Generation and now has the 8th Generation accord found he got/ gets the same noise on both those and both Automatics and feels it is a Honda thing with the Auto boxes, so maybe I'm getting a combination noise with mine !LOL a lot of my trouble is I'm such a finicky sod and always listening out for odd noises!! need to get a grip I think! what a state to get into eh!!LOL
    Cheers Pete

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm the same Pete !

Have to look into every single little out of the ordinary sound I come across LOL

5. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Exactly mate, what are we like eh!lol mind you I expect we're not the only ones, got another one I need to look into too and that seems to come from somewhere to the left of the glovebox almost sounds as if somethings rattling around in the glovebox , think it might actually be coming from the left air vent, so might whip that out at some point or better still shove some kitchen roll into the vains of the vent to see if that shuts it up at least I'll know if it is that or not! remember my Old Nan saying about my granddad that he was always listening out for noises and suddenly shouting out to her ' did you hear that noise' to which she would reply, ' No I can't hear any noise' used to drive her mad, old man is also a bit similar, so I didn't stand a chance really did I and hence the way I am with motors!!LOL

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Check your pollen filter, could be debri/leaves bounces around.

7. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks for that mate, never thought of that, will have a gander at that, are they easy enough to get at on these , my last Civic was just a case of squeezing the outer of the dropped down glovebox and lowering it down and gave access to the pollen filter.
    Cheers Pete

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

9. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks for the link, just looked at the first link and thought all that just to get at the filter! then noticed it was the 6th Generation, so thanks for correcting that to the 7th Generation , nice and easy that by the looks of it.
    Cheers Pete