Engine & Gearbox Auto box useage

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by steve4536, Wednesday 15th May, 2013.

1. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a general question to get consensus on what auto users do in traffic where you are in a stop start situation. How long do you keep it in D before feeling the need to knock it into N ?

I get the feeling keeping it in drive for more than say 30 sec’s could be damaging to the transmission and associated bits.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You are correct, you should move into neutral when stationary. In D the car is actually trying to move off, whats stopping it is that you have your foot on the brake peddle. Moving to N will be better for economy and cause less stress on the engine and gearbox.

So I would knock it into N when its safe to do so, exacts times depend on traffic situation.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would personally put the car in park P as you lock the transmission and you can get off brake and handbrake completely.

When I had the auto diesel last year I put the car into Park (P) when I came to stationary for anything more than 30 seconds.
    The only caveat is when you want to get back into D from P make sure you select D as the first one down from P is R and if you're not careful you know what will happen.:Blink:

Look at your dash auto indicators and don't look at the stick makes life easier.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hmm that's an unusual approach for normal driving, unless your going to be stopped for a fair while, N and handbrake are fine. You'll be able to move off quicker when you need to.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Once you get into the habit it does not look extreme.

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I only go into N neutral with the handbrake on in a long queue. You should only go into Park when you park the car, to lock the transmission. As Speedy says, high risk of going into R instead of D when the queue suddenly moves.

Autos are ace, especially with paddles, so much driving these days is spent queueing. Takes a lot of the tiring work out of driving. I love controlling the gears with a sensitive right foot.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It all about practice count three click from P to D or look at the gauge. Not that hard if you lack discipline or take or eye off then you will get into trouble. I prefer to put on P all you have to do touch the brakes and set it to D no need to touch the handbrake, if you sit neutral you have to set the handbrake or hold the brakes.

Which brings me to my biggest on my pet hate if you are stationary get off the brakes you dazzling the driver you..

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Agree with the comments on getting off the brakes.