Electrical & Lights Auto-Folding Wing Mirrors Over Extending

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by misterhelpless, Monday 13th Oct, 2014.

1. misterhelpless New Member Getting Started

Clive Surrey
    UK owners. My (just purchased) 2005 CR-V auto mirror driver's side over-extends when opening the mirrors. This may have been my fault because when I was checking out the car at home I accidentally walked through the mirror squeezing past it, knocking it to it's full over-extended point.

I tried cycling the mirrors a few times and it seemed to settled in and work OK, but the next day it suddenly over-extended. I can't find info on CR-V forums on this (though a BMW forum had a recommendation for getting over this problem on their cars). I'm assuming something is not lined up. It makes a 'bang' noise when opening from the closed position.

Has anyone a tip to get the mirror realigned with the motor detents / bits / whatever they are? I need to use them as I have a tight driveway.

Thanks!

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to HK Clive, feel free to introduce yourself and add your CR-V into the Club Garage.

I don't have any immediate suggestions other than pulling the cover off the headlight itself and inspecting the hinge inside for damage - but I'm sure others will be able to answer your question better. I would assume replacing the wing mirror and therefore whatever mechanical "stop" which usually doesn't allow the mirror to "over extend" would fix the problem either way.

3. misterhelpless New Member Getting Started

Clive Surrey
    Thanks! Yes, I'll get along to saying 'hi' and getting my car in the Garage maybe over the weekend when I've a bit more time.

4. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Hi Clive.
    Did you fix your mirror problem?
    I had a similar problem with my CR-V
    Regards

5. misterhelpless New Member Getting Started

Clive Surrey
    Hi

No I didn't. I tinkered with it and the mirror seemed to click into a slot, but the opening and closing is off. It will close OK but not open quite far enough. That's better than opening way too far!
    I push it the rest of the way out. It's a bit of a nuisance because our drive is narrow and I'd like to be able to have them swing in/out normally.

Have you had any luck with yours?

Thanks & Regards,

Clive

6. misterhelpless New Member Getting Started

Clive Surrey
    I haven't a clue what my engine code would be for a Honda CR-V 2005 petrol i-VTEC auto transmission! I can't get the car inot the garage. Might you know please?

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Is it petrol or diesel?

Diesel will be the N22A2 and petrol is the K20A4 I believe.,

8. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Hi Clive. I took mine off the door and stripped the cover off. Couldn't separate from the wiring but cover will slip down it to allow you to work. There is a post with a spring and spring clip on it as I recall. The banging you are hearing is the spring being extended and snapping back. I think this is a mechanism to protect the mirror when it gets a whack from a passing person/car. Problem is that the mechanism can go out of line. I carefully removed the spring clip and rotated the mechanism around until the correct angle for the mirror at full extension was found and then refitted. I had to take the clip off about 6 times to get it right but it now works. Only other alternative is to buy a new mirror which can be expensive if heated and power folding unless you fall lucky with one from Ebay in the right colour. Just takes patience and 3 hands!