Guides Auto G'box Fluid Change.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by leicamanman, Saturday 18th Aug, 2012.

1. leicamanman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,
    How easy is it ti do a trans fluid change/ Where is the drain plug. is There a filter to change.

Any and all info would be gratefully accepted.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Leicamanman,

Better late than ever as they say this is your simple guide to change the ATF fluid on your car. Please have a read of this In-Depth - Genuine Honda Fluids and Lubricants • Honda Karma prior to changing the ATF fluid to have better picture and you are aware of all caveats.

Take note of change in ATF fluid specification with the introduction of a new variant ATF-DW1 , Now since you are changing the fluid you can't do a full flush.

The fluid capacity for the 6th Generation are as so.
    Automatic Transmission Fluid Capacity:
    2.5 [liter] (2.6 US qt, 2.2 Imp qt) at changing
    6.1 [liter] (6.4 US qt, 5.4 Imp qt) at overhaul

You may have to do a three to four changes to ensure all traces of the old ATF fluid are removed to see the benefits of ATF-DW1. Additionally if you see poor shifting for any reason you will have to revert to ATF-Z1

How do you do it.

1. Warm the car to bring the transmission up to operating temperature . The best indicator is when the the radiator fan comes on you know you are good to proceed.

1. Park the vehicle on the level ground, and turn the engine off and follow the jacking guide which is posted in this section, look for the sticky threads.

1. Remove the drain plug (A), and drain the automatic transmission fluid (ATF).

1. Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer (B), then refill the transmission with the recommended fluid you chose to use. I would strongly urge to use Honda ATF fluid. You find black curd and iron filing on the magnetic drain plug. Clean it thoroughly before reassembly

View attachment 4528
    If you need any further assistance please ask, I am sure the other lazy bones here can help you :Wink:
    Last edited: Saturday 24th May, 2014
  3. leicamanman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply Ichiban.
    I had the Trans Fluid change done at my local Honda dealership. £70.00, while I waited (about 30 mins).
    Since then my mechanic friend has changed the engine oil & filter and replaced both rear brake discs & pads.
    One of the slider pins was seized absolutely solid in the carrier. got a replacement carrier from the local scrappy, as Honda said, "They had never been asked for a carrier as a spare and while they may have been able to order one it could take several weeks".
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well you now have the steps to do it yourself for the next time,that is if you like playing with tools :Smile:. The carriers IIRC are not sold separately they are sold with the entire caliper as a set. The cost of a new caliper would have been pricey so you did the best thing to get a carrier for the local scrappy.
  5. leicamanman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just remembered, the Honda dealership spares dept guy gave me a printout of the complete rear brake set up in an exploded view. The interesting bit is the Carrier, Slide Pins, Bolts and Rubber Gaiters are grouped as Part No: 43014-S1A-E01 & priced at £46.39. There is also shown a kit No. 43010-S1A-E00 for Slide Pins @ £28.58 (4-off) and another kit for the Gaiters (4-off) @ £25.07 This suggests to me that these are (or should be) available as kits!

I would hope that surely if a Honda mechanic came across a seized slide pin I would not be charged for a new Caliper complete.

My overall impression is that Honda (my local one at least) would rather not sell individuals spare parts.