General Auto Trader Hacked . . . Again !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nels, Sunday 1st Jun, 2014.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Auto Trader dealers have been hacked again 1st June 2014

If you see a car at a price that's too good to be true, it may well be one of the false entries...

hacked entry. .

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...aximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/page/1?logcode=p

This one was listed for Spire Peugeot in Hatfield this morning, and at Westfield Nissan tonight

A tell tale sign is the contact details that start with part of the car's reg

It's been going on for years !

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They're Nissan dealers, maybe they don't know how to value a Honda :lol:

On a more serious note, I think the dealers themselves may be to blame here if its just their account that is being used.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I read, after searching 'Auto Trader hacked' that they get in after the dealer opens an e-mail from the hackers.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like a good way to do it. If I was a dealer and I got an email with an attachment with the premise that the sender would buy an expensive car then I would open it in two jiffys without thinking..

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Too slow, it has been removed!

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I posted just so members were aware.
    There were many different cars, but near the top of the ad, the contact details show an e-mail address that starts with the last 3 letters of the reg.

I suspect that if you e-mail them, the reply may have something hidden that could attack your PC ?
    Then maybe use your PC to attack dealer sites.

What's more concerning is that the same type of scam has been active for years.

Why haven't the dealers / Auto Trader stopped it ?

7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I get strange emails everyday now from ebay/paypal etc, problems we are going to block your account, please download the attached file. Yeah right!