Off-Topic Auto Transmission Oil marks on drive way

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SpeedyGee, Tuesday 22nd Mar, 2016.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My neighbour has a Jaguar Type-S and it's been parked up for a good few weeks as it had a leaking radiator, so he asked me to change the radiator for him. When I was checking the car for whilst it was parked on his drive I could see that it had some long term oil leak issue as well.

So I go get his car and reverse it onto my ramps look in front and there's drops all over the drive in front of the garage. Thinking it's just coolant I think no further of it and carry on. About half an hour later I take a closer look and realise that's not coolant but oil !

So I have a look under the Jag and find it's leaking auto transmission oil ! So I quickly get out there with paper towels to soak up as much of the oil drops as possible I then get out some Swarfega Patio and Drive cleaning solution. Pour some on, srub it with a harsh brush and jet wash it off. I feel pleased as the Swarfega stuff seemed to be doing a good job of degreasing and breaking up the transmission oil. I concentrate the jet wash stream on the spots where the transmission oil fell. With the area fully wet, I can't see the spots anymore, it seems that my swift action had worked and I had got rid of the marks.

That is until I get out there this morning and see that the marks are ALL still there standing out loud and proud !
    To say I was fuming is in understand statement ! You try to do someone a favour by helping them and end up doing damage to your own property.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of these frickin marks ?

exec likes this.
  2. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Hi mate we had an oil spill on our Atrium floor that goy into the grout where I work.
    This from from a leaking boom so the oil was very thin.
    We had a company in to clean the oil spill up.
    They used a dry white powder that pulls out the oil and worked a treat.
    I will try and find out the powder they used bud
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hear you go Speedy it's called
    Oil Stain Remover Poultice and contains
    DIlutents and silicate of magnesium

Zebster likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You may be able to improvise that with fine sand and talc?

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You've got block paving haven't you? Try dripping washing up liquid onto the blocks and leave to soak. Then pour boiling water onto the patches and finally hose off.
    (This should not be done on tarmac drives)

Be careful about high pressure washers, as they will take the facing off the blocks.
    If all else fails, you may have to change those blocks. It's a real pain, but we can get your driveway back to how it was.

legend-ary likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Found a couple of similar products to what @2.4 8thGen mentioned. Wonder if they are any good:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks for the links @legend-ary

Yes sorry forgot to state this ! It is brick paving.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks @Nels, I think I'll give this ago first off this evening.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If anyone is at home, can they do the WUL so it can soak in for a few hours?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Putting the washing up liquid on the spots ? Yes, I can ask the wife to do it.

Nels likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Niceone:

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Would that detergent they use to clean trucks and lorrie sdo the trick? there supposed to be really strong stuff on its own, but dilute with water for suitable mix.

11. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I overfilled my cavalier once with oil and figured I'd just loosen the sump plug and let a jam jar amount out.
    Half a turn and the plug is on the floor. Oil everywhere and the jar full!

I've never used so much kitchen roll ever.
    One thing that worked wonders was Daz washing powder. Not the non bio stuff.

I put it on dry and left it for a few weeks. Eventually with the rain it goes brown and nasty but eventually the stain was gone.

12. Westman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Kings Lynn
    Damn
    Just topped up the oil in my CR-V, jumped in to move it... Bump, bump ran over a container of Castrol edge!!! 2 litres all over the drive . Lots of rags, Power washed it then covered it in snow foam.. Let's hope that removes it.. Expensive mistake..
    JR

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Totally didn't remember to update this thread. @Nels's tip above did the trick and totally got rid of the transmission oil marks. Thanks @Nels :Thumbup:

legend-ary and Nels like this.