Off-Topic Automatic car washes in decline

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Saturday 19th Dec, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Automatic Car Washes Closures After Boom In Hand-Wash Services

Saw this piece on Sky News this morning, quite interesting.

I wouldn't use either an automatic car wash, OR one of those hand wash places as a) you don't know what products they are using and b) I don't want my paintwork scratched to bu**ery!

From this piece, 70% of people disagree...:Ermm:

I'm sure more people used to wash their own cars when I was younger. What ever happened to the Sunday morning ritual in the suburbs?!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The hand car wash near use uses AutoGlym for £5 you get:

Something like a TFR sprayed on and rinsed off
    Snow foamed and washed
    Rinse
    Spray Wax
    Rinse
    Hand dried including Air gun to get water from mirrors, trims etc.
    Inside door shuts cleaned
    Tyre dressing
    Glass cleaner on front windows inside and out

I can't complain they do a bang on job there are no swirl marks afterwards etc. I still like to DIY it but I don't always have the time.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That sounds like a good deal for £5!

Down here you get half of that, with dirty buckets and God only knows what chemicals for £15 - or more.

I'd rather leave my car dirty for a couple of weeks than take the risk.

Ichiban, Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I tend to avoid them too, for the same reasons you have highlighted @FirstHonda

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well, perhaps not quite that long, but totally agree with the sentiment.
    I must admit though, that over the years, I have created an environment where this is far easier to do now.

Additionally, I find it's very satisfying when you've cleaned and waxed your own car(s). I know, I'm a sad old sod with nothing better to do. :crazyeyes:

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I left mine a bit longer.
    5 months now and counting.

chris2982 likes this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Aghast: :shock: :Aghast: :shock:

:no: :no: :no: :no:

I shall have to report you to the RSPCH - Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Hondas!

Get that car washed, :telloff: or even bring it over and I'll do it for you!

vincemince and AccordCU2 like this.
  8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was either busy,had a case of masssive :cjba:or weather just being horrible :depressed:to clean the car.

Got two weeks off now over Christmas period and seeing that "worst winter for decades" missed us i might give the poor thing attention it deserve.
    :Innocent:

vincemince and Nels like this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have passed my hire cars through the illegal immigrant car wash show without qualms but never ever will I ever think of using that service on my Honda.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unfotunately living in a flat i'm forced to use these hand car washes, the one I used to go to was pretty good, but it got closed as the land they rented got sold or something, so the other one i'm using is rubbish, half the car looks dirty after a clean and they skimp on many things like tyre dressing. I am contemplating taking my own bucket of detergent and use a jetspray you find in petrol stations and cleaning it myself, will save me couple of quid too.

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I am in the same boat as you. Living in a flat means I have to go back and forth 2 floors for fresh bucket of water a couple of time for the full wash but I just do it once a month so it is not so bad. Can't have 2 buckets as there is zero space to store them so I just use the mop bucket and wash it thoroughly before and after use.