Engine & Gearbox Automatic gearbox clicking noise

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by FR-V_Knight, Monday 13th Jun, 2016.

1. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom FRVKnight London
    Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could offer some advice.

I have a 09 plate automatic FR-V and have noticed that sometimes when I move from "Park" to "Drive" gear I hear a mechanical click noise. Its more of a dull "clunk" noise. It never used to be there before and hence why I notice its out of the ordinary. It does the same thing when moving between gears, EG: from P to D etc. Also if I am stopped at a junction and then move off I hear clicks sometimes but I have not changed gear etc. I think they are related.

It doesnt happen all the time but it is happening more and more.So it is intermittent. I did demostrate this to someone at a dealership but they said its just the gearbox mechanism selecting the gear and is normal. But the fact I never heard it before makes me concerned that there is a problem with the gearbox? ( I could be wrong and thinking the worst). A relative who has a 2013 Jazz CVT and although I appreciate they are different gearboxes, I can't hear anything on that one.Someone suggested to change the gearbox oil, which I got Honda to change. This was done but made no difference,even though it wasnt due yet.

The car is quite low mileage (approx : 28000miles) but still has some extended Honda warranty left.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As the ATF ever been changed on this car?

3. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban

I am not the first owner so not sure if it has before my ownership, but the service book has no previous stamps saying ATF has been changed.

I had the ATF changed in April this year on someones advice. But Honda dealship changed it but did say it wasnt due until 60,000 miles.

However the problem persists.

4. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I'm at 62k and hear a thud like it's going into gear from P to D.
    Mine doesn't do it all the time but then I'm not always listening out for it.

I'm certain I've had previous autos do this.

It's a very similar thud like my Astra used to make when first driving off (manual car) apparently the air con engaging. This was an 64 plate and forums, dealers and friends said it was normal.

As I'm at 62k and assume the gear box oil hasn't been changed in the last 2k I'll get it booked in some time and changed. I'll let you know if it silences it.
    I imagine there's only one type of ATF @Ichiban

5. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @RobsyUK

Thanks for your reply. It interesting you say your FR-V does this also.

I have am 100% certain that this noise started recently and was never there before. In fact my FR-V was quiet as a whistle before this, no trim noises that I have seen in some of the recent Swindon built Hondas (sorry I had to say that).
    It made me appreciate the Japan built FR-V.

Before this car I did have access to an 07 plate auto FR-V and do not recall any such noise. I would have noticed since these small car noises drive me up the wall!

Perhaps someone else here who has an auto FR-V could advise if they have any such noise?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No such clicking noise on our 57 plate Edix Auto @FR-V_Knight

7. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Mine doesn't do it all the time @FR-V_Knight - like this morning been out 3 times and nothing.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Auto gearboxes use solenoids to activate a change in gear, so your probably hearing a solenoid clicking. You wouldn't normally hear it above all the other engine noises though.
    Maybe worth standing to the side of the vehicle with the bonnet open whilst someone changes from P to D and see if you can determine if it is indeed a click from solenoid.

9. Khan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Khan Walsall
    No noise as you describe on my 08 FR-V auto.

10. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee I have followed your advice and had someone change the gear whilst I have listened with the bonnet open. There is a distinctive click noise when selecting gears.

I have done the same with another auto FR-V that someone owns and were visiting with. With that car you can hear a small whisper quiet tap noise when the gear is selected. But this is only with the bonnet open and it is very hard to pick up.

So it appears so far that only my FR-V and @RobsyUK's FR-V is making this excessive clicking noise.

It this something we need to be worried about? As if it is a problem as such I really need to get it sorted whilst I have this extended warranty left.

11. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've worked with solenoids and would 100% say mine is this.
    It doesn't always do it but it's clearly heard from inside the car - mines normally from P to R. But could be once every 20 times.

While playing around and not able to replicate the sound I did manage to make a very similar noise when selecting air con.

Last edited: Sunday 19th Jun, 2016
  12. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@RobsyUK

Its interesting what you say.

Could it be just that the solenoids in my gearbox just make a louder noise that other FRVs?

I have turned on the aircon and although this does make faint "clunk" when it turns on, this is a different type of sound.

I guess its not worth worrying to much about this as if there was some sort of problem with the gearbox I would have other problems by now. Am I correct?

13. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Looking at the parts list the solinoid is on the top of the box so I assume it's an easy swap.
    I've cleaned solinoids with no improvements before.

14. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@RobsyUK Thanks.

I think since its the noise only at this stage and you also have it without any other issues I may leave it and see how it goes. I recently read another thread on the forum suggesting the gearbox oil should be changed a few times. As you never ever to remove all the old oil in the gearbox.
    Although now I cannot find the thread!

Since my FR-V is quite low mileage, I can only assume that the previous owner had left it parked up for long periods.

So question are : Is it worth getting the oil changed again (it was only done in April) ?

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

16. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks @SpeedyGee I knew I had read it somewhere, but then could not find it!

17. FR-V_Knight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Some more news on this....

The noise became progressively more common and slightly louder. I had a retired mechanic listen to it, he said it didnt seem healthy and to get it checked out. Since it was happening when switching between gears (P > D and D to R etc ) suspected may be an issue with the gearbox.

So I booked it at a dealership to be looked at under warranty (still some Honda warranty left). They had the car for the whole day and although it took a while they eventually found the noise coming from the front nearside driveshaft.

So they removed the driveshaft,re-fitted in a different postion, lubricated the joint and refitted. They retested and no noise.

Upon collection I was told they had to charge me as this was not something that was covered under the warranty, which I was slightly annoyed about as was not contacted during the day about this. But looking over the warranty policy they have covered themselves stating if it is found not to be covered that cost of investigation/work will be charged to customer. Although I am not sure how the driveshaft can be maintained during normal servicing from the owner.

On the way back from the dealership the noise had gone, so what they did has obviously made a difference. However using the car over the weekend , no issues, but this morning I can hear the same noise but only when engaging the D gear.Although only every 7/8 gear changed to D. Its much fainter than before but perhaps difficult to hear since its been silenced by the grease they applied. But sound has completely gone (so far) from P > R.

I suppose if it the sound returns I assume my only option would be to replace the left driveshaft as I don't really want to get stuck somewhere if it fails completely.