Engine & Gearbox Automatic gearbox oil additive

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by candobill, Friday 25th Oct, 2013.

1. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am going to try an automatic gearbox additive exado has anyone used it and whats your views ?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH bud the Honda ATF has all the additives your gearbox will ever need. Snake oil makers will make you believe otherwise.

Regular ATF oil changes will give all the benefits of a perfectly working tranny then any snake oil will ever give you personally.

Out of curiosity what were you trying to gain by this additive ?

3. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I saw it advertised and it seemed like an extra protection for wear and tear so for £12 I was thinking why not, as I use slick 50 in all my engines and feel it is a good stuff and does what it says on the tin :Thumbup:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Billy if you believe in such products my advice is to use them, as its like converting vergratian to eat meat.. LOL

But in reality these products do nothing but take money off you..especially PTFE based ones which is an exaggerated placebo effect.

5. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I will give it a try and post the results later nothing ventured nothing gained is my motto :Happy:

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi as I say I will let you know how it pans out with additive, it seems to be compatible with my car specs so I will sue them if any damage :Smile::Smile::Smile:

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle

I used to put Slick 50 in my first couple of cars as I got told it was good for the engine (from an older car/biker guy in work, I was the young new driver guy). To be honest I can't say either way whether it made a difference, placebo effect and all.

However, I remember reading a couple years ago about a lawsuit in the US so had a little search for it. You may or may not want to read it.:Blink:

Quaker State-Slick 50, Inc.

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi I read the thread and it was more of a misrepresentation slick had said in adverts. I can assure you I have used it and it did work for all my cars. my son-in law once filled his engine up with oil to the top of the filler :Blushing: and wondered why it was smoking and noisy, I drained it and added slick 50 it ran for 6 years without a problem. :Whistle:

10. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    I've recently had the Auto box on my V6 flushed using the Honda approved fluid and I have to say the changing and smoothness of the box has improved tenfold.

For a total cost of approx £60 (Trans fluid £40, labor £20), spending a quarter of the cost of a fluid change on something that may or may not have some benefit seems to be a waste of money to me.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Same here HB, I changed the manual gearbox fluid over the weekend in my Accord with Honda MTF, gears feel nice and slick now.

Also the gearbox I rebuild early in the summer was so smooth and slick like it had just come of the factory, that was down to be all clean inside and then filled with Honda MTF (as well as my great handy work putting it together of course :Smile:).

Stick with Honda fluids you can't go wrong, no need for anything else or any additives.

12. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

have had the additive in for about 100 miles now and the box is performing a lot better, I was surprised to see how much smoother it feels as I was only looking for added protection, I may have had some wear that I had not noticed :GoodJob: