Engine & Gearbox Automatic gearbox problems on 6th Generation Honda Accord Launched 1997-2002

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by hondream, Sunday 17th Mar, 2013.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hi
    1) Are there any issues with the automatic gearboxes on these cars.
    2) How many forward gears does the automatic gearbox have?
    3) Anything to look out for when test driving?
    4) How reliable is the automatic gearbox.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi are we on the market for one or are we probing for long term effect?

1) No there isnt , but neglect does help.
    2) forward 4 IIRC
    3) sluggish performance and poor kickdown
    4) Very reliable

Personally if you want a troublefree tranny box change your ATF every year regardless of the mileage and lean towards the new DW1 spec ATF.

3. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hi Thanks for the reply. Yes, i'm looking for a honda acocrd, possibly 6th or 7th generation.
    2) What does IIRC mean please?

I read on the internet (possibly usa forums) that they have quiet a few problems with the auto gear boxes? is this correct?

When do Honda recommend that one changes the Auto gearbox oil?
    Thanks

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The Tiptronic boxes are notoriously weak, watch out for stuff like jerky changes, slipping, car jumping when idle after warm etc. My dads had two of these, first one packed in, current one is battling out but has odd jumping issue.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Strange never heard of such a issue,may have another issue to have the same scenario repeated on two cars.

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Nope they are well known for being a bit poop. Three other 6th Generation Accords my dad test drove had similar issues, one of them was really bad the gearbox was really struggling yet the seller was advertising as perfect. His current one seemed fine until the drive home! Everything else is great nick and it's done only 60k but has a fault, but its soldiering on.

8. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did some research into what to buy when I bought my accord, as reliability is important. I was thinking BMW 3 series but the gearboxes are notorious on them, so phoned round a few auto transmission shops. They all said pretty much any jap auto box will be fine, as would mercedes. Audi have problems - especially in higher powered variants, and BMW boxes are rubbish. There is a bit of an issue with the V6 accord boxes, but its nothing like as common on the 4 cylinder cars, and its unusual to see one now with a problem. keep the fluid changed every year and it will be fine apparently. I've done 3500 miles in less than three months of regular use, and no issues so far (now @ 133,500 miles)

9. demo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have a 2.0lt VTEC sport with the auto box that has 180000 on the clock and i have no problems. has had oil changed every 30000 miles.

philoldsmobile and Ichiban like this.
  10. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is always a risk with forums, people generally only post when something goes wrong. The fact that I could find very little relating to accord gearbox failures suggest its a very reliable unit. I found a little bit on US spec cars, especially the V6 having issues, but even if the box is identical to european models (unlikely as its likely to be tuned for smoother slower shifts) American oils are frankly crap (they are made to far lower standards than European equipment require, as the domestic market vehicles are very low tech), so you will find instances of just about every vehicle having an increased instance of failure in the US, even when you consider their very gearbox friendly driving habits.

Last edited: Monday 1st Apr, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I too struggle to find any major problems other than solenoids resets and the box starts to behave correctly. These boxes if neglected or wrong grade of ATF used see the most of the issues.

The gearbox which last a lifetime is the one running on Honda genuine oil and with regular oil and filter changes.

12. Canada Member

Well, I'd be interested to know if you folks over the pond never heard of, or had, the Honda warranty extension on the auto trans for the 4 cylinder Accords (2001-2002 models).

In 2003, my 2001 model transmission started making noises around 50,000 kms and after the Honda dealer first misdiagnosed it as a front wheel bearing, which they replaced (warranty), they came around to my way of thinking and found it was the transmission in its death throes. Replaced under warranty. In December 2002, Honda sent out a letter to all North American owners advising of a higher than normal incidence of transmission failures in the 2001 and 2002 models, hence the warranty was extended to 7 years or 160,000 kms. Surprisingly, this was increased again in February 2007 to 93 months or 175,000 km.

Move ahead to 2013, a good ten years later on the second transmission, at 235,000 kms and the transmission began to slip between shifts into 2nd and 3rd, but not 4th. I found out where the Honda dealers send their trans jobs to for repairs, which was locally, and had them go over it. The word I received from these guys, who have made a lot of money on these particular units, is that Honda'a auto trans builder put some poor quality metal in the clutches in these two years. He also said they usually start to go around 180,000 kms and my second unit had just done 185,000.

Another rebuild, on my dime (shilling?) this time, with supposedly better clutches from a different source. Hopefully, I will have a new Accord before I put another 180,000 kms on this transmission! I saved myself $800.00 just by taking my car directly to the transmission shop that Honda uses, rather than by taking the car to the Honda dealer, have them R & R and send out the trans!:OTT:

Last edited: Sunday 2nd Jun, 2013