Engine & Gearbox Automatic gearbox problems on 7th Generation Honda Accord Launched 2002 -2008(me thinks)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hondream, Thursday 28th Mar, 2013.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hi
    1) Are there any issues with the automatic gearboxes on these cars.
    2) How many forward gears does the automatic gearbox have?
    3) Anything to look out for when test driving?
    4) How reliable is the automatic gearbox.
    5) Anyone know what the gear ratios are of the various gears?

Thanks in advance.

2. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I assume it's 4 forward gears then on the automatic gearbox?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which model of the 7th Generation did you want information for prefacelit or facelift , engine 2.0 or 2.4 and saloon or Tourer? :Smile:

4. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Thanks for the reply.
    I thought the automatic gearbox was the same on all of the them!

I'm not interested in the Tourer, but info on all the other variants would be helpful.
    Thanks

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    1) Are there any issues with the automatic gearboxes on these cars.

None whatsoever

2) How many forward gears does the automatic gearbox have?

5 speed

3) Anything to look out for when test driving?

Poor kickdown function on full throttle

4) How reliable is the automatic gearbox.

As reliable as it been maintained well

Honda recommends r
    eplacing automatic transmission fluid using genuine Honda ATF-Z1 or DW1 At 120,000 km (75,000 miles) or 8 years, then every 80,000 km (50,000 miles) or 4 years . I would say change every 25K miles personally with the genuine ATF oil filter.

5) Anyone know what the gear ratios are of the various gears?

Gear ratios see below

PreFacelift Saloon CL7 (2.0) & CL9 (2.4) 2003- 2005

Type MCTA Electronically controlled automatic, 5-speed forward, 1 reverse
    Primary reduction Direct 1:1
    Gear ratio 1st 2.652
    2nd 1.517
    3rd 1.037
    4th 0.738
    5th 0.566
    Reverse 2.000
    Final reduction Type Single helical gear
    CL7 Gear ratio (K20A6 engine) 4.562
    CL9 Gear ratio (K24A3 engine) 4.438

Facelift Saloon CL7 (2.0) & CL9 (2.4) 2006-2008

Type MCTA Electronically controlled automatic, 5-speed forward, 1 reverse, 3-element torque converter with lock-up clutch
    Primary reduction Direct 1:1
    Gear ratio 1st 2.652
    2nd 1.517
    3rd 1.082
    4th 0.773
    5th 0.566
    Reverse 2.000
    Final reduction Type Single helical gear
    Gear ratio (K20Z2 engine model) 4.562
    Gear ratio (K24A3 engine model) 4.438

6. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Wow, that's an awesome reply.
    Thanks very much.

PS - do you drive an automatic or manual yourself?

7. mrDom New Member Getting Started

Hi

I have Honda Accord 2007 VTEC 2.4 Automatic ( UK version ) and think it's fantastic, my car has about 69k miles on the clock so I started to think about how long this car has left before I could expect to see issues with the the transmission and started to do some research and stumbled across something which got me a bit worried, it's more to do with Honda Acura Accords which as I understand are the American counterparts and it mainly effected models produced between 2000 to 2003, where numerous people had their transmissions fail on them while driving at high speed which resulted in them almost being injured or nearly killed, the common scenario would be happly driving along the motorway only for the transmission to fail and find themselves nearly rear ended because of the sudden loss of power as they dropped down suddenly to 30 MPH.

It turns out that there has been constant problems with the Honda Acura Accords transmissions and re-calls on the gearbox to try and resolve it which hasn't prevented the problem from re-surfacing, people have also indicated that the problem still persists now on the 7th Generation models.

My question is really what makes the UK Honda different from the America ones?, and do the UK gearboxes have some kind of safety feature to prevent this dangerous loss of speed from happening or is just one of those things that can't be avoided.

I understand that good servicing etc should mitigate from failure but it can't prevent it, so realistically with the Honda which is Duracell Bunny of cars ( it goes on and on ) it's only a matter of time before this component fails and when it does how much would it cost in the UK on average to replace it?

Reference:

Lawyers and Settlements Forums ? View topic - Honda's/Acura's transmission