Service & Maintenance Automatic Transmission Fluid Change?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by rikernumber1, Sunday 19th Oct, 2014.

1. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Hi All,

Just under 4 months in to owning my 2008 CR-V EX petrol auto, and still loving it. Have just had to have pads/discs replaced due to warping, but that goes with the territory. Bought the vehicle with business miles in mind - have covered over 8000 so far!

It's looking like it'll need an annual service before Christmas. Although I have done my own servicing in the past, I'm finding time to be short due to work (which is good in many ways), so I will probably have this done professionally - but not at Honda, due to cost.

Mileage is currently at 73K and it was serviced before I bought it at 64K and had a full Honda service history before that. Will get it serviced at 76K, but I was wondering whether the automatic transmission fluid should be changed? I can't find a reference to it in the manual.

If it should be changed, are there any special instructions I should pass on?

thanks,

Phillip

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @ArcticFire can give you all the relevant info on servicing for the 3rd Generation CR-V in general, though you'll find most is covered in the Maintenance Schedule for i-CDTI 3rd Generation CR-V.

ATF fluid replacement recommendations vary by model at lot, anywhere for 25k-90k. I can't immediately spot what is recommended for the I-CDTI, though at 75k I'd definitely get it done.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Also worth asking your chosen garage to only use Honda ATF fluid.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @rikernumber1 where you able to find the info and do you need assistance for a DIY?

5. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I won't do this DIY - but I will want to provide proper instructions to the mechanic. The guide linked to above looks to be for a diesel manual - I've got a 2008 petrol auto. I think the engine is an RE5, and I couldn't see a maintenance guide for that to tell me the interval for changing the ATF. I guess I could look in the manual - but that's a few hundred miles away with the car and my wife at the moment!

To be honest, at 76K, I will get it done regardless; I will use genuine Honda ATF, but I know some auto boxes require a specific approach when changing the fluid, and that's what I need - given the rear diff requires more than just a drain and refill, I was wondering if the Honda auto box would be the same.

thanks,

Phillip

6. printer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Russian Federation Vadim Moscow, Russia
    It should be done exactly as on 2nd Generation. Here's the video:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @printer, welcome to the club, pop over to the introduction section and say a few words :Smile:

Btw, the OP did just say he wasn't going to tackle it himself :Laughing: