General AutoTrader gives 'biased' a whole new meaning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by legend-ary, Saturday 7th May, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke

Sorry for the spoiler but there is a 40K Hot hatch in the top 3.. enjoy and boil your blood on how they sidelined CTR without any reasonable excuse.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

They are entitled to their opinions, but that's all it is, opinion.

If readers/viewers are happy to base spending that amount of money on the views of those guys, then they deserve to waste their cash.

HUK have got to up their game in educating the public about what real quality is. It will take time, but it can, and must be done.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Top Gear magazine did pretty much the same thing a few months ago.

In the end the VW Golf R won, but the Civic was second.

Put 50 motoring journalists in a room, and you'll get at least 30 different answers - along with plenty of opinions presented as facts.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I wouldn't have been so irritated if the top would have been CTR Focus and Golf/Seat or Renault but a 40k Merc hatch??

5. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Watched that vid too, was also disappointed that the CTR was not included in the final running.
    One thing not mentioned in such "tests" is reliability, understandable in a way due to it being an assessment of immediate characteristics, but i guess Honda will have 'em all beat before it even began if it came down to dependable motoring!

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    They say that merc looks lovely, I think it looks very plain and boring. Rather than a couple of guys giving their opinions, why don't they actually setup some proper tests and see what happens then? I guess they'd have to give Mercedes their brown envelope back.

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Everyone is biased depending on their experiences etc, part of human nature - I believe all of us here would have put the Civic right to the top straight away and been completely biased towards that

However, on saying that though, we are not "professional" reviewers needing to keep an open mind for others.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh, being pedantic here, but that scooby is not a hatchback, its a saloon, so not sure why thats in there

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Wouldn't that be that point of doing proper tests instead though? Perhaps blend it with opinion so that it gives a more honest outcome?

I wouldn't put the Civic at the top automatically as I feel FWD is limited when it comes to power but I think Honda did a lot of trickery with it so it would be interesting to see how it performed in actual comparison tests instead.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    In all honesty, anyone actually considering buying a CTR or, infact, any of the cars in that test will not be looking at Autotrader for a review.

The likes of EVO will be the first stop for most.

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.