Service & Maintenance Average cost - Timing belt change

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Sunday 12th Oct, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys,
    Does anyone know roughly how much to expect for a timing change on my Accord. she's on about 123k at the moment, got her at 117, and have a letter when the car was sold in 2010 that the timing and balance belts where changed at 76500 miles, so is not far off being due to be done again and done for piece of mind also.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not sure about Honda price:
    Honda Parts | Fixed Price Parts Repairs | Honda UK - best call them

If you go privately, I got mine done for £350 incl water pump and a full service by a family friend. IIRC @Phil P did it recently so he should be able to give you a better estimate.

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers guys, kinda dreading how much its gonna cost, but got some quotes coming in tomorrow hopefully. £350 sounds alot, was that a dealer price @Chunkylover53

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nope a family friend - except that was for the clutch :brickwall: (really tired haha)

It was actually £250 but SKF+Dayco parts from ECP - wasn't in the position to afford genuine parts (I also went overboard with a new tensioner, all belts replaced + new water pump) - I'd be surprised if I did even 30k so I figured I'd go for the cheaper option

If you're doing just the belt I've heard of it being done for £90 (all they do is change the belt though - you should consider replacing the tensioner + water pump)

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That sounds more reasonable. I'd like to use a Gates or Continental timing and balance belt if I can, Gates make the original one fitted to the car when new, according to the parts listing on Lings, not sure who made the balance belt, spotted a video online on how to do the timing belt on the F series engine, it was the 2.3 unit fitted to an American spec car, but I should imagine its the same with Uk spec cars, cept the steering wheel is on the correct side.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    We've had two 6th gens, a 2.0S and a 2.3 Type-V and something rings a bell about this and there being a whooping noise that can happen after a belt change. Or is that the serpintine belt? I'm sure there's something to do with the tightness that can fix it but can't remember.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh right, I wasn't aware thre was a problem. At least I know to look out for it now.

9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had the timing belt changed it it came in at a reasonable £260 all in. Which is cheaper than the £307 I was quoted from one garage and another who outright refused to give a quote because they didnt have the special tool, of which it can be done with out.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There's no point changing water pumps on Honda's. It's just an extra expense for no reason. Independents love to change them as they think they're still working on Ford Anglia's.

exec likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Rolf:

12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had it changed as a precaution, thing is I don't know if the waterpump was ever changed in its life, and if it had been what it was changed with. Its peace of mind more than anything, as the only record of the timing belt being changed that I had was at 76500 and its now just ticked over onto 124k

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    One advice from me would be to have the crank and cam seals changed when you do the timing belt change, they do deteriorate over time around 80k, so save some expenses, they only cost £10 for genuine part.

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah, its a shame you mentioned it now as the belt has now been changed. I dunno if they are worn or leaking the auto technician who did the work never mentioned anything. Cars done 124k now, more or less.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sorry, only found out about it recently as I had the issue, if your not losing oil and there isn't a leak coming from the timing belt area underneath then it should be fine. I'm sure the mechanic would have mentioned it if there was a leak.

Harvey likes this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure he would have, though I know he had the power steering pump off in order to do the cam belt change. I can see that he's topped up the powers steering as well, but with what I don't know, hopefully its the proper stuff, or at least one that meets oe spec. Even though I have some genuine stuff in my shed, might try and flush it some time.
    I've also got a noise coming from the timing belt area, which I'm told should go away as the belts are tensioned properly.

I've also noticed that when VTEC kicks in, I can feel it, its like its more pronounced than its ever been since the cam belt has been changed, doubt these two things are connected though.