Fuel Efficiency Average Fuel Consumption

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 9th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    New owners of 6th Generation Honda Accords sometimes find fuel consumption higher than they expected.

It very much depends on the driving conditions.

Cold start commuting and urban driving can deliver miles per gallon figures in the 20s, but on a motorway run over 40 miles per gallon can be achieved.

2. Derek Day Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

And if you put your foot down then alot then less than 20mpg! Lol, you know you do.

V6vtec likes this.
  3. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is quite rich around town, i owned an Subaru impreza for 6 years, and my 2ltr accord isn't far of that.
    On question though does the use of cruise control improve economy on longer runs?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It depends how good you are yourself at maintaining an economical speed. If you are good at actively driving on the motorway in a economical manner then the cruise control can't match you. However, if your like me and tend to like err lets say "moving quite nimbly along the motorway" then setting the cruise control at 65/70 will be more economical and it'll keep you out of trouble too :Wink:

5. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I thought the VVTI was supposed to improve the fuel economy, especially at lower revs?
    I have found that the cruise does improve fuel efficiency - but that was on a beamer.

edit-sorry i meant VTEC

Last edited: Saturday 23rd Mar, 2013
  6. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have only had my accord for a month and 1 thing I too have noticed that the fuel consumption is quite high on town driving and short runs but very good on the motorway when driven economically but for me it's quite hard to do this because of the induction kit that is installed ! It makes on hell of a grunt when the VTEC kicks in and I just can't help putting my foot down lol all within the speed limits of course ;-)

AccordCU2 likes this.
  7. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes the 6th Generation, especially the 2 litre in my opinion is woeful on fuel around town, At best mine manages low 20's, much better on runs though, I drive very sensibly and don't go into VTEC much, just occasionally. I'm going to clean out the EGR plate and I am looking at replacing the Lambda sensor in the near future as I know when they become tired they cause increased fuel consumption, and it looks like its the original part on mine

Last edited: Saturday 23rd Mar, 2013
  8. srad34 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,
    I bought my 2000 Gen6 SE as a work car for my new business. Best balance of reliability (hopefully) and spec. I will be doing under 30k a year so cost wise, its perfect for me.
    I have done plugs and filters and also I cleaned our the EGR yesterday and it was pretty clogged but as others said, distance work MPG is good using cruise control, amazingly my old Porsche Boxster is more economical round town - crikey!

I think I will remove and de-coke the inlet manifold and all sensors this weekend too, just to keep it sweet.

9. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't suppose you took any pics of doing the EGR plate? Any tips on doing it mate, as I plan to do this to my 6th Generation soon

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/1466/ :Thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  11. srad34 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, I used this ^ guide two, very clear and easy to follow.

Just take your time, I tend to photograph anything complex on my phone so I have a reference for re-assembly too. I took the throttle body off today to clean the sensors and the throttle body itself. It was pretty grubby too!

12. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Awesome thankyou, how did I miss that:Smile:

13. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

my car has 134,000 on it, so one weekend when we get a nice warm day I might tackle this, looks pretty straightforward. (definitely easier than changing spark plugs on my old Alfa 24v V6!

14. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It does look fairly straightforward, just the part when you mess with the injectors is my concern

15. avander.uk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

fuel consumption

I have a 6th Generation 2002 sport and use mine to do deliveries at night time and its terrible on fuel I use £ 20 a night to do roughly 60 miles abt town. I had a 2006 megane scenic which gave me 100 miles for the same amount of money but hey my car looks much nicer than any french p.o.s moon bus lol.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: fuel consumption

A mate of mine is in the same boat, so he bought a rough bubble shape Micra 1 litre to do deliveries and it's saved him a fortune, the car paid for itself in no time

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Surely the purchase of a Micra, tax, insurance, maintainence would add to a fair bit. You'd need to the Micra a fair for it to even out ??

18. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It already had quite a bit of tax and test on it, and he said insurance was quite low, as for maintenance, they're is a severe lack of it as to him its just a workhorse, its white and ugly and doesent look like its been washed for years but its got a great little engine

SpeedyGee likes this.
  19. avander.uk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I need a big car even for work as im 6ft 4 and a big lump of a guy and theres a few drivers every night so the quicker I deliver the more money I make.

20. srad34 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If your accord economy is pretty shocking round town, I cannot recommending cleaning the EGR plate enough!
    Mine was worse than the one in the guide and hesitated on the throttle at 1500rpm. After cleaning out, it was uber smooth all through the rev range.
    Mine has spent most of its 80k life being driven inner city, so not surprised it was clogged up! Fortunately it has been serviced regularly by Honda so can't complain.
    As mentioned, its a straight forward job, the loom can be a bit fiddly and take care with the injectors but the benefits are great.