General Awd performance

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FR-V, Friday 22nd Jan, 2016.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    If there are any Stateside contributors on the forum, I would be interested in reports of "the world's best selling SUV" and it's much maligned AWD system in the current atrocious weather on the eastern seaboard.
    It's time we had a definitive answer.

Pete C.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not stateside, but I have had a 2.4 petrol 4th Generation CR-V when I was in both Chicago and Spokane - both times in winter and once in the summer (Boston). Perhaps it was the engine, but the AWD system worked fine in the urban and backroads - especially in Spokane which has a lot of greenery to it.

The engine though was what made it special. It was truly delicious.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I couldn't get the 4x4 to kick in on a snowy car park. Only traction control. My car has no torque so probably doesn't need 4x4 as it seems to grip fine anyway.

4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    They get 2.4 proper Honda petrol engines, we get 1.6 diesels. No wonder they sell so well in the States!
    Sod the fuel bill, I WANT ONE!

Racy Jace likes this.
  5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mitsubishi had the shogun evo I think it was with 280bhp. A CR-V with 4x4 Type-R engine would be nice!

Toggerefc likes this.
  6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    IIRC, there are a couple of US made YouTube videos showing off the CR-V's AWD/off road capabilities in action and they spoke highly off it.

I haven't had to use it on mine yet, but if it's anything like Skoda's Haldex system, you have to give it some wellie to get it to engage just when the average driver's intuition is to back off. I believe it's the loss of traction, i.e. spinning, of the front wheels that activates the drive being transferred to the rear as well.

Keith

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bet someone with enough time and deep wallet resources could pull it off...!

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If nissan can put a GTR engine in a juke id like to think Honda can do the same!

Toggerefc likes this.