Tools Axle Stands Questions

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Sphinx, Friday 20th May, 2016.

1. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I need to get some axle stands and came across these :

6 Ton Tall Axle Stands - Lifetime Warranty

I know 6 tonne stands are overkill - the question I would like to ask is which type is better - PIN or Ratchet type?

Also I would like to ask if anyone has used SGS Engineering stuff before?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I use Halfords 2 Ton Rachet type ones as for some reason I didn't feel comfortable with pins but then again I still don't go under the car with them on :Grin: phobia maybe.. lol
  3. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    i use ratchets and climb under the car. it has never crossed my mind that they might fail. but thanks to this thread now it will.

SGS are good, people speak well of their boot struts. Was planning on getting SGS lifting gear before I came across Halfords advanced stuff at almost giveaway prices. I also have a SGS tool cabinet which is fine.
    legend-ary likes this.
  4. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks - I have just noticed that the ratchet ones also have a safe locking pin.

I am leaning towards the ratchet ones - still not sure yet though.

I forgot to add - this is the first time I am buying axle stands - never owned any before.
  5. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    I've got some cheap Clarke ones with the pins. They are OK but with only 4 positions you are always looking at the setting you need being between two of the ones you have.

If I was buying gain I'd probably go ratchet but I'm not so bothered I'm going to replace them.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

say thank you :Grin:
  7. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I have those pin type ones, I got them after my CR-V fell of the ratchet ones I had because of the small area on the floor let them easily topple.
  8. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    Err, maybe not now.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

He didn't say the ratchet came out, he probably didn't put them in right place.
  10. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought sealey 6 ton ones. 3 ton per stand. I like to think they can hold far more than needed. I got them on Amazon for around £20 which I thought was a bargain. Much better than my old pin ones. Although being extra safe I put my old pin ones underneath as well once the ratchet ones are in place.

You can never be too careful.
  11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't use them wooden railway sleepers are much better. After all they were designed to hold a train.
  12. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I use SGS jacks and stands. Solid as a rock mate
  13. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I bought the 6 tons ratchet version.

Arrived last week.

Question - When is 6 tons - not 6 tons?

Attached Files:

MickyB likes this.
  14. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    It's nice to see your all safety conscious on here. ( quite rightly ) I wince at the times I spent under a car with a scissor jack and a few crumbly house bricks !
    MickyB likes this.
  15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

When the Chinese do the copywriting? :Grin:
  16. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:Smile: Lol.

It turns out the 6ton Axle stands I bought are actually 2 x 3Tons which = 6.

I will still be keeping them though.

Build quality looks good + lifetime guarantee.
    legend-ary likes this.
  17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Haha I think 6 tons each would have been an overkill anyway unless you were planning to lift all wheels off together of a Humvee :Wink: