In-Depth Background: The First Honda Diesel Engine - 2.2 i-CTDi

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 7th Dec, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The salient features

• All aluminium Honda designed engine uses unique, semi-solid casting method
    • EU2004 emission compliant
    • High torque, low fuel consumption, low emissions and class leading driving comfort
    • 5-speed manual transmission
    • Extensive over and under engine noise absorption panels for added refinement
    • Outstanding performance/economy balance
    • 5-speed manual transmission
    VSA optional on Sport models and standard on Executive versions
    • Extensive standard equipment list and new fast-warming heater system
    • 16-inch wheels as standard
    • Revised front suspension and rear suspension settings
    • New engine mountings and torque rod accommodate high torque engine output

The new 2.2 I-CTDI engine was the first diesel unit to be fully designed and developed in-house and with Honda's strong tradition of innovation,It did not disappoint the discerning Honda customers. When measured across a range of criteria, it delivered a blend of performance, refinement and efficiency to compete with the very best in the market.

Honda's first diesel engine: The background

Honda may be a late entrant into the diesel sector with a fully in-house developed engine, but it is one which no manufacturer can afford to neglect given the astonishing growth of sales over recent years. It has also enabled the company to enter the market with what it considers to be one of the most advanced diesel engines launched to date, continuing a Honda tradition, now expected by customers, of introducing advanced, benchmark engines.

Honda has of course already gained valuable expertise since the first introduction of diesel power into the Honda Concerto, in 1993 Following that, the previous Civic 5-door as well as the two previous generations of Accord, have also received diesel power. Before the arrival of the Accord, only the Honda Civic had a 1.7 CTDi direct injection common-rail diesel engine used in the 7th Generation Civic range. And it did call on vast resources and a depth of knowledge gathered over many years of petrol engine research.
    Honda is also renowned for pioneering alternative and hybrid power plants for its vehicles such as the fuel cell and IMA projects. So, it is no surprise that Honda can come up with a state-of-the-art, class-leading diesel engine.
    Heading the engine development team was Senior Chief Engineer Kenichi Nagahiro from the Tochigi Centre. His impeccable credentials probably say more about the importance Honda attaches to this first solely designed and developed diesel engine project than anything else. He is the person responsible for the Indycar engine design and development programme, which in turn led to the current Formula One programme; he was also behind Honda's renowned VTEC technology.

The new diesel engine is built at the Honda Engineering facility at Takanazawa in the Tochigi region of Japan, 100 kilometres north of Tokyo. This facility has been producing aluminium engines for NSX and Honda S2000.

Brand positioning:-Ever-higher diesel penetration

Of course the backdrop to the launch of the 2.2 I-CTDI engine was a rapidly growing diesel market, with sales in Europe continuing to rise as customers increasingly recognise the combination of outstanding fuel efficiency and refinement offered by common rail technology.

In the D-segment, where the Accord competes, diesel-engine cars frequently outsell their petrol counterparts. Sales in the five main European markets of France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK, for example, have grown in the last 10 years from around 500,000 to more than 1.2 million units. That equates to an average diesel share of 60 per cent across the same five countries, with Italy and France at over 80 per cent, Spain over 70 per cent, Germany over 50 per cent and the UK at 40 per cent. It's a trend that shows no sign of slowing and the evidence points to many buyers opting for diesel from choice rather than necessity. More relaxed driving as a result of higher torque levels and thus fewer gear changes, strong performance and renowned diesel engine reliability are all major reasons to purchase.

Intensive development and unique production techniques

Thanks to ambitious targets, the development of many new technologies and painstaking attention to detail, the diesel Accord outperforms competitors across a number of key parameters. A combined fuel consumption of 5.4 l/100km (Tourer 5.8 l/100 km) and peak torque of 340 Nm at just 2,000 RPM, are both improvements on the benchmark Audi A4 TDi 130 and BMW 320. Nor does performance suffer, and 140 PS at 4,000 RPM delivers a level of responsiveness and acceleration that together with low engine noise and vibration make for extremely relaxed and comfortable motoring. 0-100 km/h is despatched in just 9.4 seconds (Tourer 10.1 seconds) and 80 to 120 km/h in 11.2 seconds.

This all-round performance is rounded off by low emissions 143 and 153 g/km CO2 for the saloon and Tourer, respectively allowing it to surpass with ease the stringent Euro IV requirements.

Behind the statistics is a specification that includes second generation common rail direct injection, four valves per cylinder, DOHC, variable nozzle turbocharger and intercooler. Particularly significant and of paramount importance in realising the aims of the development programme is a special aluminium, closed-deck cylinder block construction. This has been made possible by an original, Honda-developed production technique that uses a semi-solid casting method to create a highly rigid, compact and lightweight engine.

Best driving comfort and engine torque

The characteristics of the 2.2 I-CDTI diesel engine then, make it ideal for the relaxed, long distance driving requirements of the Accord customer and perfectly complement the Accord's outstanding handling, good performance and first class aerodynamics. It offers the high mileage motorist low stress driving, extremely low noise levels and class leading performance, as well as best economy in class. High torque gives excellent acceleration and responsiveness at low speed for in-town driving, superior responsiveness and acceleration in the mid-range and sustained high speed driving at low engine speeds; it also brings the added benefit of minimal gear changing.

Honda aimed to set a new standard in cabin serenity and the diesel engine has been developed to realise that aim. Its inherent characteristics optimised construction and combustion control play a large part in reducing noise generation in the first place; in addition the pendulum engine mounting system, an under bonnet acoustic engine cover, engine undertray and sound deadening insulation applied to the bulkhead help to minimise noise intrusion into the cabin.

New in-car heating system

Diesel engines do not warm up as quickly as petrol engines, which can present a problem in providing the necessary cabin heating requirements both in terms of warm up time and temperature. Honda's novel solution has been the development of a new heater system that warms the cold air using the gas contained within the air conditioning system and then further warms it via the engine coolant system. In terms of heating performance, this system is far superior to a conventional glow heater system.

Other differences compared to the petrol Accord include revised suspension settings to compensate for the increased torque, a new front sub frame and cross member to accommodate extra engine mounts and a new torque rod location point.

All diesel models run on 205/55R16 tyres, while a 17" tyre is available as a dealer option.
    Inherent strengths of Accord carried over to diesel models

In most other respects, the diesel models are identical with their petrol-engined counterparts: an Accord range offering an even more emotional experience, with distinctive styling, greater driving enjoyment and a tauter, more finely tuned chassis.

Running through all these elements is a consistent high quality, evident in all visual, tactile and aural impressions and made possible by Honda's production standards.

The distinctive design is characterised in the saloon by a strong frontal treatment with shield-like grille and tapering nose, harmonious proportions, a high curvature glass area and a bluff rear end. The Tourer adds all the key estate car ingredients over a longer wheelbase, blending a highly practical, box-shaped luggage space into elegant flowing lines that incorporate a long, tapering glass area.

Both offer spacious interior accommodation, combining with the smart interior design to provide a pleasant, stress-free environment. The saloon's commodious boot swallows 459 litres. The Tourer adds the ingenious 'one motion' fold-flat rear seats which can be collapsed in a simple, one action, one-handed operation to create a perfectly flat load floor and extend the load area from a class leading 576 litres (with seats raised) to an excellent 921 litres. And convenience is taken a step further with the provision of an optional, fully automatic, opening and closing power tailgate.

High res I-CTDI Pictures

AOC_UK pix_1_34_3 (3). AOC_UK pix_1_34_3 (2). AOC_UK pix_1_34_3 (23). AOC_UK pix_1_34_3 (1). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (11). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (10).
    AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (9). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (8). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (7). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (6). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (5). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (4). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (2). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (3). AOCUK_Accord_i-CTDi (1) (1).

2. maksym Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the motor looks and seems fantastic based on the specs and features it can do. We just gonna have to wait and see how it will stack up on reliability vs VW diesel engines.