Suspension, Steering and Brakes Ball joints

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by foursail, Tuesday 9th Jun, 2015.

1. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Going to tackle the ball joints on the FR-V any hints tips on the cd manual it seems like you can renew just the boots? Any fancy tools or just my arm hammer and splitter?

2. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did a quick search and presume you mean lower front balljoint? If you can renew the boot separately then go for the pickle fork but my preferred tool is a scissor type where one side wedges in to balljoint and other presses down on thread, make sure you get a heavy duty one. Bought a cheap one first and it cracked on me. This balljoint looks like it's pressed in? I take it you don't need to replace it as that would involve other tools.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I normally just use a hammer and shock the joint free. They can take the piss sometimes though.

4. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ericthecarguy on YouTube always does that. As he says "hit what it goes through" but I've never managed to get that to work. The knuckle just ended up mushrooming. I do live next to the sea though so rust is an issue.

5. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah looks like it's pressed in going to have to see if anyone's got the tools I can borrow to get it out. There's quite a bit play as well 3&9 position there's grease all over the ball joint as well so looks like I'm going to have to replace whole ball joint

6. doubleduck New Member Getting Started

Sweden Christian Gothenburg
    Where do you buy your lower ball joints? I live in Sweden and it's near impossible to find any here. The best I could find was on eBay for £19,95 each. and that sounds a bit expensive to me...

7. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah they are not readily available mine was £20 eBay job the local dealer would only change the whole knuckle. They fitted the ball joint I supplied but had to pack it out as wasn't exactly the right fit. Gave up doing it myself made a balls up of new ball joint and demolished the ABS sensor so put it in and saved myself some time and effort but not money !

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That sounds odd ! A ball joint should be a snug fit.

9. foursail Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah it was sorry probably described it a bit wrong it was packed out just above the castle nut the it was s but long apparently.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah OK, with you now.