Engine & Gearbox Barn Find a brand New 1st Generation Engine.

Discussion in '1st Generation (1976-1981)' started by Ichiban, Monday 19th Mar, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My search of 1st Generation part is via online and by word of mouth from passionate first gen Civic and Accord Owners. I was contacted by Jay he found a brand new 1st Generation accord engine,by the way Jay has a mint 1st Generation Civic is a member of Classic Honda's :: 1stgencivic.com . Jay has been on the hunt for closed Honda dealership with NOS old school Honda part for some time now and he has assisted a lot of members with his finds and not to mention a few super rare parts for his own Civic.

In one of his hunt he came across this engine ,Jay removed the sump for a closer look as well as any part stamping top see any parts were interchangeable with the Civic. To my benefit Accord parts are not identical to the Civic this engine was not broken down for parts. I could be more happier that was the case .

AOCUK EJ Engine Pic1. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic10. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic8. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic7. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic3. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic2. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic6. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic5. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic4. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic12. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic9. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic13. AOCUK EJ Engine Pic11.

Picked up the engine brought it home for a closer inspection with a view to clean the years of grit and dirt within the engine. I didn't want flush the engine with petrol or anything else , I used a wet petrol rag to pick up the bulk of the grime for the engine internals. This was also a good opportunity to inspect the bores to see what condition they were in. I dropped 50 ml of engine oil into all the four spark plugs holes and let it settle for 30 minutes before I turned the crank.

Look at the sump as a good clean.

AOCUK EJ Engine Clean5. AOCUK EJ Engine Clean4. AOCUK EJ Engine Clean3. AOCUK EJ Engine Clean2. AOCUK EJ Engine Clean1.

All four bores in pristine condition and the engine turned pretty well a bit of resistance on the full 360 turn but that is expected when the engine has been standing all these years without any movement. It just show how good Honda engineering is !!

Put the sump back on tighten all the sump bolts as per workshop manual and torqued. I filled the engine with 10 litres of engine oil to make sure the entire engine internally were covered with oil and rust cannot take hold. It turn the engine every three months via a impact socket attached to the crank.

I bought this engine for the princely sum of fifty pounds. :Wink:

Attached Files:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Next step was to clean the external of the engine block and give the cast iron block some of protection.

First using a stiff brush gave the entire engine a scrub using Surfex HD once the engine was dry treated it with two coats of Hydrate 80

EGengine1373815vnbpvv. AOCUK EJ Engine protect9. AOCUK EJ Engine protect8. AOCUK EJ Engine protect10. AOCUK EJ Engine protect11. AOCUK EJ Engine protect12. AOCUK EJ Engine protect13.

After 48 hours the block was treated for 2 coats of epoxy paint. This was just for protection when the engine will be used it will totally stripped and cleaned an repainted using high temperature block paint.

AOCUK EJ Engine protect1. AOCUK EJ Engine protect2. AOCUK EJ Engine protect3. AOCUK EJ Engine protect4. AOCUK EJ Engine protect6. AOCUK EJ Engine protect5. AOCUK EJ Engine protect7.

3. EK9turbo New Member Getting Started

Nice work. good read and a rare find!

Will

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cheers Will after a chat with you I may tip out that extra oil. :Wink: