General Battery backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 13th Mar, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Perhaps a bit of a project here but due to the amount of short runs I do my battery is taking a pounding and I don't always get a chance to get it on the charger so this is starting to effect my camera because the safety cut out is doing its job.

Would there be some way of installing a second battery in the boot which will charge from the car that I can hook up to the system?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You would need whats called a "tank circuit" which essentially connects the two batteries together for charging purposes but they drain independently and don't affect each other.

The second battery needs to be a deep cycle battery (these don't mind being fully drained).

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sounds like just the ticket. Is it a complicated ask and would/could this effect my warranty? cheers.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's been a while since I looked at tank circuits, I had one in my car previously to power the PC off.

They can transistor based, relay based or even just with a a couple of diodes, so I can't imagine it would affect your warranty as you aren't changing anything on the car itself.

I'll try dig up some info later for you, logging off the PC for now.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool cheers. Warranty is important to me so would probably check with Honda and if necessary get an auto electrician to do it.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's great cheers!

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It would be better to avoid the use of series diodes, as they introduce a small (0.7v) volt drop in the supply voltage. I'd use a relay to control the 'backflow' from the additional tank battery.

I realise this is a little unhelpful without an alternative circuit diagram. I'll either try to find one, or draw one out and take a picture.

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I considered installing a lesiure battery with a split charge relay...maybe that another option?

How to fit a split charge relay? Wiring diagrams.

Why do I need a split charge relay?
    Not only will the split charge relay/system recharge the leisure battery while the engine is running it will also stop current being drawn from the starter battery when the engine is switched off (ensuring you will be able to start your vehicle) should the leisure/auxiliary bank run out of power.

Zebster likes this.