Electrical & Lights Battery-change woes...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by filbaker, Tuesday 25th Nov, 2014.

1. filbaker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This should have been simple, but... I had the battery changed last night (Halfords). Once the new one was fitted, the alarm sounded repeatedly until the battery was disconnected again, regardless of whether the immobiliser was set or re-set via the fob. No hazards, the engine started OK - just the alarm. They scratched their heads for about an hour. and eventually I took the car home with the alarm sounding for about 30 seconds, then pausing, then repeating the process - about 3 or 4 miles, but excruciating. Parked up at home, turned off the ignition and the alarm stopped too. This morning it behaved itself and seems to have sorted itself out. But now I discover that the reversing-sensors do not work (haven't been able to check the reversing light yet) although the fuses look to be OK. Any ideas out there, please??? :/

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. filbaker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't have the receipt on me...was about £75 I think. I've looked at the link - interesting, thanks, and worth remembering.
    As I said, the alarm seems to have sorted itself out, so I guess the run home with a bit of charging allowed things to get back in sync. The problem now is with the reversing-sensor; I've had no problem previously, so I'm guessing it's related to last night's fun and games. I'm going back there this evening and let one of their blokes check all the fuses (my stupid back doesn't approve of grovelling around in footwells!)

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Happened to my accord a few weeks ago after charging up the battery. Did the key turn thing and after 10 minutes The hazards flashed and it sorted.

Last night it happened again. Car locked with key as fob wasn't working due low battery. When opened with key alarm went off. Eventually fob worked and alarm stopped.

Key taken to Henry Honda and they rounded off screw but claimed it was already rounded. BS, I could see the shiny bits where it had just been done. He's ended up with a £35 bill now as they say half the fob cover needs replaced also. Doesn't surprise me considering they had been servicing my brothers Civic for years and we discovered the oil filter had never been changed never mind anything else. Criminal.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why didnt you take the cover off yourself it not rocket science, even if the screw was damaged you can get the screw only..Why did not you challenge it ?

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My dad has the car mind. He's got a habit of doing something first then asking me about it. I had previously changed the battery in other fob when I had it, he should have just come to me. The alarm thing the other night was with him not me.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Rant::disagree:Parents I know bl00dy stubborn I keep on telling them no matter how small it is ring me and when I find out ...you spent how much..

8. filbaker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well...car back to Halfords this evening; young chap checked all fuses, read handbook, read manuals in-store, went on Google, even scratched his head. Reversing-sensors still not working although reversing-light comes on. I've been referred to nearby Halfords Autocentre to get it looked-at at their expense....

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Are they all out? I'm not sure how the Accord works but in my CR-V you can tell if it's an individual one and which one it is.

If it's all of them is it possible a control unit of some sort has popped?

10. filbaker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm guessing control unit of some sort as they're all out. Reversing-light comes on but there's no warning-beep to say the sensors are active. Hope the Autocentre can track it down.

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Installation of rear parking sensors is pretty straight forward, you have the power coming from the reversing light cable (which is a green/white striped cable in our Accords, and then just earthed to the car body. I would check to see if it is earthing itself ok and check the level of current coming into it. Could also be that the speaker has just blown.

Should be quite easy to trouble shoot that one, and I hope they get it sorted for you.

12. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    You let WHO touch your Honda?=-O

13. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You should ask to see the screwdriver that they tried to remove the screw with, then point out that it,s not a JIS approved driver and thus they were using the wrong tool for the job so they rounded it off so they should replace it.
    If you need to know more on JIS drivers see CJ s post in the tools section.
    Only a thought ,worth a go, penny in the pocket is a penny in the pocket.