Electrical & Lights Battery charging issue

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Rpthompson, Monday 26th Sep, 2016.

1. Rpthompson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rich Long Eaton
    Hi all,
    As part of the free health check my CR-V (2014) received whilst in the garage the battery status had the amber (be aware) box ticked. If I remember correctly the same box was ticked when the car was serviced in May. I asked the guy why this should be the case for a less than 2 year old car which has a daily commute on motorways and A-roads. His response was that the battery was probably discharging on shorter journeys but when taken on a longer trip (ie my commute), the battery only charges to a level that it had previously dropped to, ie not 100% - and the only way for the battery to be fully charged is for it to mains charged using a charger.
    I know very little about how modern cars work but that sounds odd to me. For example I don't use stop/start very often unless I know I'll be stationary for a long time but presumably that would be bad for the battery? How can the alternator not charge the battery beyond a certain point - fuel saving? - has anyone else been told this?

Sorry if I'm being dumb.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All your battery needs is a routinely top up charge using a battery optimiser like optimate like this one Genuine HONDA OPTIMATE 3 Battery Charger & Conditioner | eBay

I have been using this for years on motorcycles and cars and it maintains the battery health when cars are infrequently used and extends the battery life.

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'd ask them what actual electrical check they'd done to make a determination of its true status. A battery will never be discharging during a journey unless the alternator is failing. The alternator manages charge delivery by directly monitoring the battery voltage and electronically 'throttling back' the charge, as required.

It is important to distinguish between the state of the battery (e.g. is it seviceable or is a new one required) versus its state of charge (e.g. does it need to be put on a charger?). Most garages haven't got a clue and this guy is probably guessing!

4. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Ichiban, this is not a long term solution. You have to disconnect the battery each time you use the battery optimizer.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No you don't have to disconnect terminals to the battery every time you want to charge the battery. You can attach the SAE lead to the battery terminals and then connect it to the charger when you want with a easy disconnect plug.

This is attached to the battery, you leave it attached to the battery all the time, when you park the car at home remove the red rubber cap attach the lead from the battery charger. When finished just uplug the cord.
    opt_o1sae71-weatherproof-eyelet-lead.

A case study

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Product looks great. Thanks for the info. The one I have, for charging car batteries, needs battery disconnect.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Because of my low mileage, I've used an Accumate on my cars for the last 16/17 years and I wouldn't be without it. Without doubt it extends the battery life (the battery on my V40 lasted for 13 years). This is particularly the case with modern cars where battery condition/voltage is critical and peculiar faults manifest themselves once the battery performance drops.

As CJ says you definitely don't have to disconnect the battery to use one. I have the Accumate lead permanently connected to the battery and just plug the charger in once the engine has cooled. Once the battery is charged, the unit holds the battery at optimal charge.

I also have one on my ride-on as it is only used occasionally during the winter. The battery is always at optimal charge.

Keith

Nels, PanayiotisPal and Ichiban like this.
  9. cat-guy New Member Getting Started

cat-guy United Kingdom
    Hello Rich, Ask your Honda distributor if there has been an update to Service Bulletin 14-071 Alternator Technical Bulletin 00397 (1411) which may now include your year of CR-V.
    The above bulletin deals with alternator charging / low battery condition in some driving modes – e.g. Short journeys’.
    Regards, Kev

10. Rpthompson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rich Long Eaton
    Thanks for your replies guys. I will ask about the recall on Monday as its booked in for a master cylinder change under warranty. They did offer to charge the battery which is nice of them. I'll keep a note of the accumate as well.
    Cheers,
    Rich

Ichiban likes this.
  11. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I do use the passthru software from Honda available to download for free, using a passthru MVCI device to check for software / firmware updates. This might be a good idea for checking at least or even flashing (read instructions) firmware updates.
    Here is the free passthru software from Honda (latest J2534 04-JUL-2016) and the service bulletin14-071 - Update the PGM-FI software
    RJAAI001_J2534.htm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Tuesday 27th Sep, 2016
    Zebster likes this.
  12. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Can I use a Smart Charger for flashing firmware, as means of precaution? for example when flashing automatic transmission module or engine Control Module with the engine not running). We don't want the battery to drain out of charge while firmware updating.

What do you use as a means of battery charge protection when firmware updating with engine not running???

Last edited: Friday 18th Nov, 2016