Insight Battery life

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just a curious question...aware that Honda have been selling hybrids for a while (Civics and Insights) - 10 years or more?

Have there been any issues with battery life requiring replacement on the older cars? How long do they last and maintain effectiveness?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda first gen Insight was launched in 1999 before Toyota Hybrid .. so Honda have been producing hybrids and IMA for a longer time than you think. Toyota may have a larger share due to better marketing.

Having said that Honda Hybrid battery warranty for the newer Hybrid vehicles is 10 years higher than Toyota!

The 1st Generation Insight battery are really expensive and they won't work anymore you can get aftermarket variants which can be found on the internet. The cost of new hybrid battery in most cases is more than the cars value.. rofl.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. Uriel Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm a fairly regular forum member at www.insightcentral.com. I gather that the current going rate for 1st Generation Insight (2000 - 2006) and Civic Hybrid (to 2009) IMA batteries is about £2k fitted. Batteries can also be reconditioned on a cell by cell basis, for much less money.

Honda offer a 1 year warranty on their replacement batteries. There is an independent mechanic based near Thirsk, UK, who offers an upgraded IMA battery with a 3 year warranty. Both are similarly priced.

£2k sounds a lot but I guess by the time the turbo, DPF and DMF have been replaced on a diesel you're still a few quid
    up on maintenance with a hybrid.

The current Insight, Jazz and CR-Z IMA batteries should be cheaper to replace in theory, as they have less complex batteries with fewer cells, but I've not heard any reports of IMA battery failures on these models yet. Practically all of these cars will still be under Honda's 8 year, 100k mile warranties (reduced to 6 year, 90k mile after 2011).

Hybrid batteries like regular use (for both Toyota and Honda). Honda's manuals indicate that they should be driven regularly or charged at least once a month. Batteries are most likely to deteriorate on cars that have been sitting unused for a long time. I've heard reports of both Insight and Prius racking up a few hundred thousand miles before / without a battery replacement Age tends to get them in the end though. It seems that age is a far bigger factor for hybrid batteries than mileage. I've heard a few reports of Insights needing new batteries at 10-12 years old and similar figures with the Prius.