Electrical & Lights battery size

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by salopian adas, Monday 25th Aug, 2014.

1. salopian adas Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

had to get a new battery for my 2.4 auto this weekend as old one could not stand any more than 10 minutes sat with the radio on whilst waiting for the wife to do the shopping, it,s twice let me down with a flat battery and I have to keep a set of jump leads in the boot all the time. this is in spite of doing regular 200 mile round trips. Anyway, Halfords and other online retailers suggest heavy duty options, all of which they say will fit the car, however, looking at the dimensions of the standard puny battery and the replacement, I took some measurements and thought it would be a tight fit. Not wrong ! has anyone tried to fit a bigger battery to this car? problem is, when you remove the plastic casing for the original battery, yes you can get a bigger one on to the tray but the hold down clamps and bracket will not hold it securely. it will try to slide about on the tray. I ended up fabricating a bottom tray from 18mm thick upvc facia board (my job) which was screwed down into the metal, then locating new battery in position and stabilizing using kitchen worktop blocks screwed around the base . the original clamps and over - battery bracket can then be re-fitted and will now hold steady. Thing is, Halfords reckoned the battery would fit even though I argued about the size, and even said they would fit it for a tenner. B een back in to store today and told them my thoughts, all I got was " the book say,s it will fit so it must do". beware if you want to upgrade to a bigger battery, its not as straightforward as you think.Incidently, cranking speed is much faster now and there should be a lot more in reserve

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good to read you've got a working battery and can listen to the radio without concerns now.
    Shame you weren't up to 25 posts. You could have had a new battery form HH, delivered to your door, for less than Halfords charge and you wouldn't have had to make any modifications.

3. salopian adas Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes, but really wanted heavy duty ,which generally means bigger casing, output is 660 cca, and 65 ah, my Honda dealer only has standard replacement, which as I said , is puny, way too small for engine size and gizmo,s

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @salopian adas a proper OEM battery will not let you down, especially if you're doing long motorway journeys. I'm assuming your current battery is getting on in its life?

That said, I chose to do the same thing as you and get a slightly larger battery in place with my 7th Generation 2.4. I removed the battery cover and had space to fit in a larger size (Type 75 for me). Specifically I went for a Bosch S5, 5 year warranty. Can't fault it, and my car gets left on the ignition for a couple of hours sometimes for HDS or FlashPro Manager tinkering. Do the measurements and find out the exact dimensions you can fit. Yuasa are a solid choice as they produce the OEM battery for many JDM vehicles.

6. salopian adas Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

fitted a yuasa silver , 5 year warranty, the main problem for the unaware is that the original battery fits into a pint sized case made specially for it. this has two studs on the bottom which locate into holes in the metal shelf, thus stopping any movement .Once this is removed the new battery may slide about even though it is clamped with the original hook clamps and bracket,. I tightened mine to as much as I dared but it could still slide, hence the need for alterations to the mounting.
    the battery I replaced was the original, 6 years old but less than 24k, most of my mileage is long distance, generally once a week at about 200 mile round trip so always gets a good charge

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My battery doesn't slide and will not move despite being charger and without the case, but that's likely a difference between the 8th and 8th Generation designs.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda batteries are not designed to run car accessories whilst the car is switched off and yet retain sufficient cranking juice. By going to a supersize battery like some have you can mitigate that condition. Have a read of this article Article: 7th & 8th Generation Honda Accord Long Crank Times? under battery care.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry forgot to add the JIS/EN battery code for the

7th Generation 2.0 and 2.4 car is 46B24
    8th Generation 2.0 and 2.4 car is 55B24