Electrical & Lights Battery Size.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Karl_T, Monday 15th Feb, 2016.

1. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    The car's been cranking slowly for a couple of (cold) days, so I decide to take a look at the battery. My first thought on opening the bonnet was 'You're kidding.' , the problem almost answers itself.
    Reading various threads on here I see a few have upgraded the battery, but most (all) people seem to talk about Ah and CCA values. Useful for performance, but less so for 'fit'.
    I've got an ageing Bosch S4 size 021 in there. LWH is 238,129,227mm. Eurocarparts and others recommend an 014 which is 230,173,222mm. It would seem to fit one if these you'd need to bin the plastic battery cage, (no worries there) but the arm across the top is shaped round a 130mm width.
    What do people do? Can you buy wider ones?

Karl

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The OEM battery is perfectly specced for the engine. why go bigger ?

Your battery has probably just aged and needs replacing, not upgrading to a bigger size.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Probably true. But if you look up the recommended on most motor spares places it is bigger. Almost makes me wonder if the one I have is the OEM one. The handbook helpfully doesn't say. The plastic case and upper cage fit, but the rods that secure it are tapering in towards the top. Makes me wonder if its too small and the cage isn't original. The 021 is smaller than the one in my 1600 Toyota.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I tend to go for like for like and Honda genuine batteries are way cheaper than eurocrap parts.

Denso23 likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I replaced my Accord 2.4 one with an OEM from Holdcroft a few years back and it's still going strong.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I replaced the battery on my 2004 Tourer in 2007 and it lasted till 2014 so 7 years from a OEM battery is very good. Bosch can't even compete with that!

7. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    But what size is it?

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I don't know about the 8th Generation 2.4, but in the 7th Generation 2.4 the original battery from the factory was the Panasonic 46B24L(S)-MF , capacity 45 Ah , CCA 330 Amps.

10. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Honda later changed this to supply Yuasa 48ah, CCA420 as replacements instead

Nels likes this.
  11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Her indoors keeps telling me bigger is better......

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I replaced mine last month but old one (Honda genuine)lasted just under three years and it was knackered.
    Fluid in it fell under minimum and no ammount of charging helped.
    Maybe i was just unlucky.
    Will see how long this new Mutlu (@$#*@) one is going to last.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I purchased a genuine replacement battery in March 2015 from you know who and had to have it replaced in June 2015. First local Honda dealer said battery was fine (AA had already tested it and found it to be faulty) and disconnected the hands free/bluetooth which didn't fix things.
    I noticed the fluid in one cell was absent and took it to another local dealer who straight away tested it as being faulty.
    Replaced under warranty (I've since reconnected hands free/bluetooth) and so far fine.
    So, I'm guessing that I was just unlucky, not with the supplier but with the product.
    I would go with Honda again and would not start trying to fit batteries of a non-standard size, just be wary of running accessories with engine not running.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Who are we to argue? :wifeslap:

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I hope they also uprated the starter motor to take the availability of higher current in deep winter conditions

16. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Who remembers the batteries I think uni part used to make (Samson ? )
    We used to sell them when I worked for rover, they were guaranteed for as long as you kept the car. They were no better than any other make but they relied on most people keeping their cars for only three years. Unfortunately for them my dad had his 827 for seventeen years and five batteries !
    I see horrid halfords do a for life battery but its an eye watering £160 !
    ECP want £53 for a three year cheepo would a genuine Honda one be same ish price ?

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it would, and a tad cheaper from HH with discount

18. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    God knows how old mine is but its a miracle it still works at all. I leave it for an average of four months at a time, I come home turn the key it starts.
    Probably won't now lol. I'd probably goe to my local friendly dealer ( Lookers ) in Orpington hoping they did free fit. I can't be arsed these days messing around with spanners !

19. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Just looked up uni part Samson, they do a battery for mine for £42 but now only three year warranty !
    Guess they got burned with life time guarantee !

20. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Have plumped for a Yuasa YBX5053. Same physical size as my old Bosch, but 48Ah 430CCA so, on paper anyway, higher capacity. Has fixed the immediate problems. £48.
    Karl_T

qc2, Zebster and Nels like this.