General Battery terminals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobB, Saturday 1st Jun, 2013.

1. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What if any do you guys coat your battery terminals with?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Super thin coating of Petroleum Jelly. nothing else.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right I have just about had enough with my positive battery clamp being so lose on my 2007 Tourer.I have finally asked around and got myself a pair of Quick release clamps Quick Release Battery Terminals Clamps 12V Pair Car Caravan One Motorhome | eBay

My positive terminal sometime with vibration becomes so lose that the car won't crank :Foolish: a quick wiggle and it fires up.. the clamps has become so large with flexing it won't clamp on for a good contact.

One advise if you don't want your stock posi terminal becoming bloated you have to do this.

1) Always use a long reach deep 10mm socket. nothing else.
    2) When Installing always press down on the posi terminal whilst tightening.. if you don't the clamp will flex toward the left making it larger!! and it will not fit correctly.

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I tend to tighten the terminal slightly then give them a good tap down to force it slightly further on to the post.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well someone when my car came back from the bodyshop didn't do that.. so can't go back and complain its goosed now. Spot on Rob that is the way to do it other wise the malleable clamp metal just flexes.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's the electrical engineer in me mate. Can't stand bad connections. :Wink:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just for people thinking why I haven't gone for a stock Honda clamp? well you can't get the clamp on its own you get the complete harness to the stater motor and it retails for 140 quid.

These QR clamps should make things easier for removal and avoid a repeat cycle.

8. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I was looking at them QR clamps a while ago for my tourer, seen two kinds one was like springs the other a bolt on with a flip down type tensioner. is that the kind of thing CJ ? and if so which one do you use:Search:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think these are flip down tensioner by looking at them but will confirm when I get them bud.

10. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I was going to use them in my tourer so I can take the battery out during the closed season and it would be a bit easier for disconnecting when I do any maintenance on other stuff. :GoodJob:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ease of Maintenance is the key for me too is main advantage and with no bolt to tighten the clamps can't be damaged by poor technique .. well in theory!!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The QR terminal arrived a few days and these are no good due to JIS battery terminals Took the stock leads off and tried these on the terminal post and they were not griping at all .

So looked around and found these see (image below) Battery Post Shims - Repair Worn Down Battery Posts | eBay they have done the job perfectly no more unsecured positive terminal. :Thumbup:

$T2eC16JHJHsFGljIoO+eBR00UcUw2Q~~60_12.JPG