Off-Topic Bavarian Pile of Crap

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 27th Nov, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Colleague at work has got a 2010 BMW 320 and his screen washers have stopped working. Found out he's not using genuine BMW screen wash and now for the second time he's having to get them unblocked as he didn't know about this. Something to do with fan type washer jets and you'll end up finding loads of sludge down by the filters at the pumps. I believe in America if you are forced by the manufacturer to use their product then they have to provide it for free but I wonder about the UK? Surely competition laws would kick in?

Ironically, another colleague has a 2011 VW Polo which has clogged as well.

German engineering at its finest.

Found this: Service & Maintenance | Cooper Colchester - Colchester | Authorised BMW Dealer

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oil sludges, water sludges, they seem to have big problems with sludge !!

And they'll only charge you £35 for the cleaning the jets

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye right! Apparently, the wheel comes off, the inner lining comes off and then the pumps comes out and cleaned. Then the pipes etc also need cleaned. At their hourly rates, I reckon it'll be £35 just to welcome you through the door. I'll also bet my socks that they'll come back and say the motors are knackered and need replacing CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHING!

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My folks just used a bottle of Autoglym screenwash that cost a fiver from years ago for the Accord, still got some left with no blockage issues etc, now he's moved onto a tractor I'll get him some genuine screenwash as a stocking filler :Rolf:

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    So BMW drivers will be getting BMW screenwash for Christmas to match the BMW leisure wear they'll be wearing :Tongue:

6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have just ordered central heating system cleaner for sludge cleaning :Smile: maybe it would help in the BMW window washer bottle :Happy: :Happy:

Ichiban and Chunkylover53 like this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My 2004 MINI Cooper does the same thing, but MINI have never charged me to clear the tubes (as done at service / MOT time).

So, not just German cars where this happens, but British ones as well...oh, hang on, I remember something about this...:Whistle:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well you see the mini is made in the UK plant in Oxford made by the Germans (BMW) owners in England. They are obviously not going to go out of their way and tell everybody its a German English car is it?

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why do they need to get screen wash for the winter most of them never get out of their drives without skidding off the road anyway ha ha ha ha ha

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I reckon BMW have some explaining to do to their customers over the past 30 years. After all, they have been selling "the ultimate driving machine" (for dry roads & sunshine!) but have now launched four wheel drive versions of the 1 and 3 series...

...so does that mean their new slogan will be "the ultimate driving machine - this time we really mean it and you may be able to drive the car in light drizzle without ending up backwards into a tree" ?!

Catchy...:Rolf:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Four wheel drive versions.......... .

Just more parts to go wrong really :Tea: !!!!!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But our British Mini is not British is it its made by zee Germans in Oxford by well some British workers if they have a Permanent job? LOL

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In nearly 20 years of driving, granted in mostly examples of Japanese motoring prowess with two brief and forced forays into VAG bull$h**t, I've never had a problem with blocked washers. Part of me would like to say that it might be the harness of the tap water (if used in the screenwash mix) but that would take the heat off the fact that BMW's are German rubbish.

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Lol you sound like my dad! He said that about electric windows etc. Hehe

AWD seems to be the way forward at the moment including Honda. I believe VW are securing some major deal with the Swedish firm Haldex Traction that makes the AWD in SAABs, AUDI's, and my car plus many others. I like AWD so long as it can run in near 2WD for economy purposes. Seriously, when it's belting down with rain or the roads are cold (with the addition of winter tyres) you can feel a huge difference in grip. I'd love to get a shot of Honda's AWD and see how it feels because mine is old technology where it reacts, but the newer stuff predicts (well I know the SAAB one does) - big difference and clever stuff!

What I'm confused about with BMW is that they call it an ultimate driving machine because it's RWD and therefore attracts the [wannabe] purists, so how does AWD fit into this? Will it be the other way around and be RWD with the front engaging where necessary? Oh hang on, Honda have already done that with the new NSX and it's better because it is electric motors giving instant torque and therefore instant reaction. Sorry Bavaria, try again lol

- - - Updated - - -

I think he was just putting regular screen wash in it but I witnessed the after effects first hand when our mechanic stripped it down. Sloppy thick goo all over the place. Poor design not being able to take regular screen wash. Very poor design.

15. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Maybe i'm getting grumpy with old age along with a major dislike for German cars!!!! :Smile: .

16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

One thing I forgot to mention. Halfords own screen wash additive is cr@p.

Granted I've not used it for years but the reason I haven't is it caused a horrible smell to form in the screen wash whenever it was used - like rotting vegetation. I never found the root of the cause but it was as if the screen wash had gone off and was full of bacteria.

Mind I've never ever had this problem with any other type of screen wash. I do tend to swear by Comma screen wash these days.

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Halfords own branded oils and fluids are made by Comma, last time I looked anyway.

18. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    John Dickson and Chunkylover53 like this.
  19. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I can't understand the way people slag BMW I had a couple before as company cars and to be honest they are great cars. Not the greatest but a lot better than some of the ones I have driven. If I had the choice between a BMW and JAGUAR I would pick the JAGUAR because I've had a couple but they need lots of TLC and I didn't have time :Hey:I was never offered a HONDA :Wink:

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I hear you! I think that annoys me more is the crap they get away with from the official performance figures to the official MPG figures. Then there's the *%^& who drive them, almost as bad as AUDI drivers. It can't be a coincidence each time lol

Have you tried the Berry flavour one? It's yummy! Never had a problem with Halfords Screen Wash. Their oil sucked though.

I've heard that also, in fact I think it was either gearbox oil or rear diff oil that I was researching when I came across Halfords own and it actually being Comma.

As far as a regular car goes, I believe they are ok. But they put themselves out there as some superior piece of engineering and have a price tag to boot. The Bavarian hordes flock towards the badge and subsequently think "I'm awesome" whilst keeping very quiet about all the things that go wrong and the associate bills because otherwise it will show them up for being a mug who's been duped. I will admit that they do have some good performing engines but then anyone could stick a big 3 or 4 litre engine in a car. All these car reviews seem to overlook how the BMW will perform and hold together in 6 years time.