Feedback/Help BB Code - not fully implemented?

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by bijomaru, Wednesday 21st May, 2014.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I was trying to to some editing in BB code for my signature. Seems like some parameters are not supported. For example resizing image, or setting table border to 0. If you out any of those parameters in the code will just fall apart.

Is that something that can be looked into? Or are we just limited to what we have at the moment and no chance of upgrading? I guess maybe it's disabled for security reasons.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Look into the Rank Titles permissions list. Resizing images and manipulating tables aren't supported by most variants of BBCode, though with vBulletin we had more out-of-the-box support than we do here.

With images, just upload them at the resolution you want. With tables, I can add in output options, though both noting things like table border have been deprecated in the HTML specification so I'd have to emulate that function with inline CSS. Our table BBCode is pretty basic at the moment as I wrote in manually, just supports header, columns and rows ([table], [tr], [th], [td]).

3. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah, I've uploaded photos in required size to Picasa already. The only thing is table puts a default black 1px border around which I'd rather not have :/

Not a major issue so I was just wondering if there's a quick fix.

I sometimes wonder why simple and working solutions like TABLE are being deprecated in HTML? Not every page benefits from CSS. :Unknown:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The TABLE element isn't deprecated itself, but many of it's attributes are that controlled styling. Same goes for most old elements from the HTML4 are older days like <center>, <align>, <font> etc. It makes sense, CSS is for styling, HTML is just for markup, there's no reason to have two ways to achieve the same thing.

I've actually just checked and I've already plugged up tables to support CSS styling, so for example this convulted mess:

Code:
    [table][tr="text-transform: uppercase; font-size: 11px;"][th="border: none; background: grey; color: white; border-radius: 6px 0 0 0;"]Age[/th][th="border: none; background: grey; color: white;"]Weight[/th][th="border: none; background: grey; color: white; border-radius: 0 6px 0 0;"]Height[/th][/tr][tr][td="background: black; color: white; border: none; font-family: Georgia, serif;"]27[/td][td="background: black; color: white; border: none; font-family: Georgia, serif;"]57KG[/td][td="background: black; color: white; border: none; font-family: Georgia, serif;"]172cm[/td][/tr][tr][td="background: black; color: white; border: none; font-family: Georgia, serif;"]32[/td][td="background: black; color: white; border: none; font-family: Georgia, serif;"]89KG[/td][td="background: black; color: white; border: none; font-family: Georgia, serif;"]158cm[/td][/tr][/table]
    Becomes:

AgeWeightHeight
    2757KG172cm
    3289KG158cm

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Ooooh that's fancy :Smile: Didn't know I can include CSS in BB Code.

Thanks for highlighting this! :Thumbup:

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

No worries, just for your reference by default it's not the [table] element that has the border but the [td] and [th] :Thumbup:

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm just going to adapt the code you've pasted to what I need :Wink:

Does it work with colspan/rowspan by any chance?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Not by default, I'm limited on making custom BBCodes because I can only have one extra attribute, "style" makes the most sense as you then have full CSS support, but colspan/rowspan could only be used one or the other - not ideal I know. At least with CSS you can kinda blank out cells and emulate that effect.

9. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok managed to get this done for my signature :Smile:

Lot of code though to nest a table with specs inside a table with pics, nested within a table to get the title aligned :Smile:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :GoodJob:

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Change the parent table's width to "auto" from 800px and it'll align properly :Smile: Worth noting that the table won't collapse down properly for mobiles and they'll just get giant tall columns of text.