General Being able to take key out whilst engine on

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Saturday 28th Nov, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Accidentally discovered something a bit weird today. Whilst changing my wipers i thought I would start the car so it heats up whilst I'm doing something else, when I switched it on I accidentally took the key out, it came straight out and engine was still running! :bigeyed: So I'm wondering if this is normal?

2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    only car that I had with that "facility" was when the ignition/steering lock was so worn that the pins had fallen out

3. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    Had that in my old car, was handy in the winter as I could start the car then take the key out and lock it while it warmed up

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That can't be right!

I borrowed an Izusu pickup recently to collect a load of 8'x4' Kingspan insulation from a builders merchant. The keys fell out as I was going along the very busy A49 and I nearly soiled myself in fear, thinking that the steering lock would engage. Fortunately, it didn't!

legend-ary and Harvey like this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I should have tried the steering lock as a proof concept! Weird though, I guess its either like that from the factory or the barrel is worn, otherwise I have no issues with the car, everything works as it should including steering lock.

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wasnt the Jewson branch there by any chance Zebster and I hope they did you a good price too.
    Shouldnt be doing that mate, sounds like a worn ignition barrel and or key.
    Just checked on mine, Deffo the key won't come out with the engine running

exec and Zebster like this.
  7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No, sorry ( I assume you work for Jewson?)... It was South Shropshire Building Supplies in Ludlow!

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I do, dunno whether thats fortunate or not?

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It could be worse, you could work for Travis Perkins and have to ask embarrassingly high prices, so all your trade customers aggressively haggle!

Alexknight91 likes this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haha, Yeah, but at the moment thats IS what I am doing, customers are saying this place and that place are cheaper etc. As you can expect though, there is only so much that can be done on price ( at least on our computor screens) but that doesnt account for the rebates that the big companies get.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Bugger! Will just have to hope it doesnt cause any problems in the future. Always wondered why the key felt a bit loose in the barrel!

12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How many miles are on the clock @exec ? Mine has 134k and the ignition feels fine. Wander how much a new barrel would be from HH?
    My aunties ignition barrel jammed up on her Astra G (4th Generation) and I got a brand new one from Vauxhall for 75 quid and fitted it myself. However the barrel was specifically for her car (due to key combination etc ) popped the new barrel in, made sure it all lined up with the ignition switch and it fired right up. The immobiliser chip is in the key with a sensor under the barrel, so with the correct barrel, didn't even need to change the key.

exec likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Mine is on 87k, although when I bought this car it did have some theft attempt damage, so perhaps someone took a screwdriver to the ignition barrel :Ermm: will inspect it next time i'm in it.

I would of thought changing barrel would mean needing new set of keys etc? As the key cuts would be different. New one would probably be a lot of money and I won't be spending anymore on this car (for the time being anyway).

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It depends mate, if you went to an independent garage they would probably just put any new barrel in and then you would end up with one key for the door locks and one for starting the car.
    Honda should keep a record of what lock combination was fitted to your car from factory, which might be stored on the ECU (not 100% sure on this as it varies by manufacturer ) with vauxhall you need the car pass card to order new keys and barrels as it has this info on it, but could also be read from an EEPROM via tech2 (factory diagnostic equipment, like HDS for honda, and vcds for vag)

exec likes this.
  15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Going to try this tomorrow @exec and will update. Personally I hope that I get the same result as I doubt anyone would try stealing our cars these days :Smile:

exec and Harvey like this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Chunkylover53 I doubt you will mate, I certainly don't when I tried. However people would steal our cars, especially if it's been left running opportunist thieves about .

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm just wondering if it's an MOT failure, a key falling out is potentially dangerous.

It was a long time ago when it happened in a car I had, IIRC one of the pins was very loose, so I removed the lock and managed to make all of the pins fall out. Before putting it back (and this is the point) I disabled the steering lock.

Obviously the car was then very easy to steal, but it never was stolen .....because it just was not obvious that the you didn't need a key to drive it awayLOL

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I don't think they test this on the MOT, keys have never fallen out or felt like they will every fall out in the 5 years I've had this car, so hopefully should be ok on that front.

Harvey likes this.
  19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tried removing but to no avail. Reason I wouldn't mind this "issue" being present on my car is because I usually leave the engine running and then use the spare key to lock the doors during winter.

exec likes this.
  20. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On the 7th Generation, I don't think that the doors will lock from outside with the engine running. I've definitely tried it using the button on the fob of the spare key, and I think I've even tried to lock it with the spare key in the door lock.

Last edited: Sunday 29th Nov, 2015
    exec and Harvey like this.