General Best carb cleaner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doc, Wednesday 23rd Jan, 2013.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm looking at stripping and cleaning my EGR valve. I assume the best thing to clean it with would be carb cleaner, so I was wondering if any members had recommendations on which brand to use or are they all pretty similar?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The best one I have used is Silkolene Carb Cleaner on my first gen carb. it cleaned it brilliantly or you can get 5 liters of Isopropyl Alcohol aka IPA from eBay and use a jet spray to atomise it like a aerosol.IPA works best if left for a prolonged soak, just agitate the container repeatedly to get the best result. Use the carb cleaner for disassemble and for the stubborn stains use the IPA.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Top Tip I don't know too much of diesel EGR but on petrol throttle bodies the butterfly shaft has Molybdenum Disulphide grease on the axis.
    On the petrol throttle bodies you don't want the butterfly soaking in any solvent nor burst of spray on the axis as it will dissolve the grease..that which leads to sticky movements and can get jammed repeatedly.

So bear that in mind and this has happened to a few who have taken cleaning to the next level :Wink:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers CJ.

I was also thinking about soaking it as the feed pipe from the cylinder head won't separate from the EGR while on the car. So as it needs to come off I was thinking of soaking both parts to loosen the carbon deposits first.

On the diesel the butterfly valve is all part of the swirl control valve. I don't remember there being any grease on it but I will check 1st thanks. Also as it's a turbo engine it gets a thin film of oil on it anyway. I don't intend to strip this down as it's not fowled with carbon deposits, I can just wipe the oil off. If I do spray it I'll make sure to remove the MAP sensor first.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Not yet, been a bit side tracked lately. I've taken a look at 5 litre containers of IPA on ebay and decided I'm going to go for that to clean it with. I won't need it all but it'll be useful to have handy for future jobs. I plan on cleaning the EGR in about 4 weeks as I have a lot of travelling to do before that so won't have time till then. But I'll do a write up of it and a couple of other projects I'm going to finish off at the same time.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wise choice on the IPA , there is no gumming as such on diesels like petrol engines.

8. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    You could use something REALLY nasty like Xylene, just wear gloves as its easily absorbed through the skin and attacks the liver. It's very good at cleaning things as is Acetone.