Service & Maintenance best oil

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by numan, Friday 9th Oct, 2015.

1. numan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Robert Glasgow
    what oil for the CR-V, I know a certain type will be advised but I have a few gallons left over from my old Civic, would that do the CR-V?

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@numan - I'm no expert, but I think the recommended grade for the petrol CR-V is 0w30, it certainly is for the current version.

What have you got left over, as the Castrol website recommends 0w30 but the Morris Oils site says 10w40 is ok as well, and the Mobil site says 0w40!!

However, on this thread @Ichiban says always use 0w30, and he knows... :Smile:

Pre-Facelift Model - 140k miles on an '04 CR-V

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What grade was the Civic oil? As @FirstHonda detailed above, you want to stay with 0w30

4. numan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Robert Glasgow
    think its 5w30 fully synth

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Honda recommend 0W-20 as first choice and then 5W-30 if that's not available. Therefore, you could use fully-synthetic 5W-30 if you wanted.

6. Westman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Kings Lynn
    Hi
    Called Honda UK Customer services just to see what they would recommend and they actually said Castrol Edge 0w-30
    (That's for a CR-V 2005 petrol)
    Cheapest I found was Euro car parts with an extra 10% discount was £32ish for 4 litres

FirstHonda likes this.