Dealers/Garages Best place for wheel alignment?

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by Chunkylover53, Sunday 7th Jul, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I went on a long trip today with the Accord and noticed that whenever I let go of the steering wheel it would rotate slightly to the left instead of returning to the centre. The car had hit a kerb very hardly a year or so ago with the wheel replaced but nothing else was attended to.

However I also tried braking very hard from 30 and letting go of the wheel, in that case it seems to return to almost the centre which was a bit confusing.

Nonetheless I believe it is a wheel tracking/alignment issue so I ask where is the best place to get it fixed?

Also I believe that I need to get all 4 wheels checked - just checking two won't help?

Kwik fit asked for 50 for a laser tracking system check, national are asking 15 but only do two tyres - do you guys recommend any certain garages for tracking?

Many thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You want a Hunter Wheel Alignment place.

Use this website find one nearby you.

Align My Car

There also seems to be a 5% downloaded voucher on that site, maybe worth checking out.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Many thanks for that link - my nearest one is 8 miles which is pretty good. My local kwik fit said they had a Hunter system but would they know how to use it compared to the garages that are linked on the site?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Kwik Fit centres are a bit hit and miss, probably mostly miss I would think.

I would go to a dedicated alignment centre where they know their stuff.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thought so - I will call them tomorrow and after this is fixed the car is pretty much perfect :Happy:

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My personal experience with Kwik-Fit and Hunter Alignment has been really good, though completely agree with Speedy on the hit and miss aspect. The first guy (before the supervisor stepped in) tried to track my car as a Civic, then a US spec Accord :Blink:

Just watch their input selections on the screen and you should be good :Rolf:

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

OK I will probably compare both quotes and decide then. I have an MOT next month, is it advisable to wait for it to pass because I think one of the tyres needs to be replaced which could affect the tracking?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    About £35-55 from Kwik-Fit depending on whether you need the rear toe corrected (memory serves that gets charged extra).