Tools Best plastic bonding agent?

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by AndyB1976, Thursday 15th May, 2014.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    This is related to my broken car handle thread, and will probably need to be a Halfords buy.

So any experience on bonding plastic? I tired Gorilla Glue in situ but that was a failed it seemed to leak out of the joint, as you can see on the pics maybe I clamped it too hard.

IMAG0895tn. IMAG0896tn.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Andy I would personally use Polymorph which easily available at Maplins, 250g Polymorph | Maplin

you can warp around the breakage filling in the gap and then make a thick layer on top to support it.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban likes this.
  5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

6. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    I don´t know the available installation space, but pherhaps you can also strenghten the lever
    (in addition) with 2 screwed stiffeners (from both sides) - something in this way (see sketch):
    I would fear, the notching effect will blister a (single) bonding soon.

stiffener-2.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Seems to be holding a bit, I've snipped a bit of metal zip tie and epoxied in a metal stitch....this is gonna be the Frankenstein of all repairs lol

Hey ACC-CDI ...I've almost done what you have suggested, I've even got some strapping and bought small bolts if this doesn't work

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Not a Materials Engineer, but think that it needs the right solvent glue for that type of plastic. :Unknown:
    The polymorph looks interesting.
    However, I still think you will need additional support/strengthening across the break.
    @ACC-CDI-2T 's suggestion looks good, as long as there is enough clearance in use.

Would it not be better to just get one from a scapy or ebay?
    Just swap the broken part over.

honda accord door handle | eBay

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah I had a look on ebay but couldn't find a drivers side (needs lock barrel space) in R81 red....and they are about 1/2 the price of brand new, so thats not a sensible price incase there is another weakness waiting to be found, fiver or tenner no probs but 30 to 40 quid from a scrappy :-o

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fair enough.
    Fingers crossed it holds :Thumbup:

AndyB1976 likes this.
  11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Roughed up the metal and plastic with some 80 grit, and have since bonded over the last image with the vice grip grooves, with some more epoxy. Will prob try and stitch the other side

IMAG0898_tn1.

IMAG0897_tn1. IMAG0905_tn1.

IMAG0906_tn1.

Auto Ali and jimjams like this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You could teach Mary Shelley a thing or two :Laughing:

ACC-CDI-2T and AndyB1976 like this.
  13. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well I bonded the Franken-stitch into the other side, sanded down the lumps, installed it in the car and so far its holding, well after a few gentle tugs on the handle. I think this stuff properly cures in 24 hours so all being well its sorted!!

To sum up getting this handle out the door was a nightmare, the two door screws didn't seem to like PH or PZ heads, maybe they are JIS. I broke one door clip, almost destroyed the rod bush trying to separate the rod from the handle but the worst part was literally getting the handle out the door, basically the second last step you do. I was worried about the force required would break the latch mechanism at the other end of the rod.

I should finish this off on the door handle thread and maybe do it as a DIY - this is one DIY that will take me less time to write up than perform lol, however here at the last pics

Cutting and roughening the Franken-stitch to size
    IMAG0908_tn1.
    This is why you need more than two vice grips. and all different....one is never enough
    IMAG0909_tn1.

Would bring a tear to Isambard Kingdom Brunel's eye.....beautiful
    IMAG0910_tn1.
    bit rough in every sense of the word, but it works IMAG0912_tn1.
    Brunel would have been so proud.....
    IMAG0913_tn1.

jimjams likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looks like a job well done :Thumbup:

A well engineered fix to be proud of.

What is this Franken-stitch ? Not heard of that

15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'll might get some and have it on the shelf, although the last time I heard about a Polymorph this happened lol....

Red_dwarf_polymorph.

exec likes this.
  16. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

exec likes this.
  17. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    LOL.

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    yeah I know .... "Holy Thread Resurrection Batman"

Quite a few years ago I was told by someone who knew a lot about plastics, that the only way to "glue" most plastics would involve highly carcinogenic cocktails, each cocktail tailored to the type of plastic, but even then the success rate would be low.

I vaguely remember the explanation (couldn't repeat it even then), but it's to do with the way the chains are structured. Once the chains are broken, there is no way to open them up again without using specific and highly dodgy chemicals. Despite being told this, I have still tried many "plastic glues" over the years ....and I've come to the conclusion that all glues for all plastics are a con.

The only way to repair any broken plastic is the way that @AndyB1976 has done it, which basically involves turning the plastic into a type of composite (indeed, some layers of carbon fibre might also work in the way that Andy did it)

This explanation of polymers in wkipedia comes close to the way it was explained to me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystallization_of_polymers#Solidification_from_the_melt

and this explanation is quite good too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic#Composition

AndyB1976 likes this.
  20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

:Wink:

That fix above is still holding lol

Nels and Nighthawk like this.