Tyres & Wheels Best Tyres For Road Noise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by sc489, Thursday 19th May, 2016.

1. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I need two new front tyres (195/65 R15 91V) for my Accord which is currently fitted with Michelin Energy tyres.

Which tyres do people recommend for low road noise? Options might include the Michelin Cross Climate or Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance.

Is it safe to fit the Cross Climates on the front but leave the Energy tyres on the rear? I've also just read on this Forum that new tyres should be fitted to the rear when buying two new tyres which surprised me.

2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I went for the Goodyear option, I like Goodyear's and find them very quiet. Just google why tyres should go on the rear, it'll all make sense.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good year eff grip were really quiet on my accord.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Goodyear Efficient Grips are very quiet and hold nicely too. The F1's are fantastic, but they don't make them below 17" rim size so they wouldn't be an option.

Got F1's on the Accord and Efficient Grips on the Civic

6. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Goodyear efficient grip on my CR-V very quiet and smooth would buy again

Racy Jace likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How worn are the Energy tyres ?
    It's not just this forum stating that advice
    Winter Tech Information - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?
    Should you fit new tyres to the front or rear?
    etc etc..

Think about what would happen if you brake sharply on a bend, if rears don't have much grip, the rear end will come out.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The front Michelin Energy tyres are worn down to 3mm in place and need replacing. The rear Energy tyres have 5mm left.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

5mm is decent tread, so you could move those to the front and put new ones on the rear.

You say worn down to 3mm "in places" .. if the old fronts were unevenly worn then you should get 4-wheel laser alignment check done.

10. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was wondering about that. See my question at Front Wheel Alignment Check Needed? (Tyres & Wheels - )

11. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought two new Michelin Energy + tyres in the end (195/65 R15 91V on my Accord).. Some reports said the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance were quieter and some the Michelin Energy tyres. I've always had the Michelin Energy tyres and had very good wear from them. I also had conflicting advice about fitting just two Michelin Cross Climates - Michelin said it was OK but the Honest John help desk expressed caution. I had a 4 wheel alignment done which resulted in minor adjustments front and rear (first time checked in 10 years!!). I noticed the front offside tyre now has no balance weight on the outside but does have one inside. I wondered why but there is no trace of any steering wheel vibration up to 70+.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Wheel balance machine must have detected that that;s the only place the weights are needed.