Engine & Gearbox Best way to remove maf sensor

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Steve8274, Friday 2nd Oct, 2015.

1. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
    Hi all
    Looking to take my MAF sensor out to clean it with contact cleaner etc. changed the air filter the other day and can see the sensor however it's difficult to remove due to its location. Would be easier if the air filter housing could be removed however it seems to be hinged at the back and I couldn't remove it.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud these sensors are ultra sensitive you put carb cleaner of any other cleaners your expensive MAF will be duff.

Why do need to remove it? these are not VW diesels these hardly go wrong.

3. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    It was a neighbour who mentioned it. They have the accord with the same engine however the air filter is in a more accessible place enabling you to remove the sensor.
    He claims it builds up with dirt etc and he cleans his with a electric contact cleaner each time he changes his filter. Claims improved MPG and faster acceleration. Not a massive amount but noticeable.
    Therefore I thought with my car having done just over 90000 miles, I would try to spray clean mine.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I take it this chap does not have his Accord any more?

5. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes it's still going strong. Over 130k miles.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I won't touch it mate unless you have an issue.

7. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok. Cheers.
    I'm not having any issues however not overly impressed with acceleration so thought it may have been worth a try. Not drove another CR-V tho so nothing to compare it too. Maybe it's correct for this car. I know it's not going to be fast

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Steve, Has your car a proper health check to find why your car is exhibiting these symptoms? To just single one component as the root cause based on recommendation is always not ideal.

Without knowing your servicing regime how the car been looked after ,you cannot say the magical clean refit will fix anything. I call it random luck fixes and shooting in the dark hoping for the best they generally result in poorer fixes and a lot of frustration for you.

9. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car was well maintained before I got it. Full Honda service history apart from one.
    I took it into honda last week for an oil and filter change. It was an offer on groupon. Oil and filter and something like 40 point check. They never mentioned anything about the acceleration when they took it on road test so it may well be normal.
    YouTube has a lot of people cleaning their sensors. However you are probably correct and I will leave it alone

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud there are countless thread on here how to narrow down issues on I-CTDI engine provide you have a code reader.

Code reading will give you the ability to narrow down your search for a fix, you find the most comprehensive troubleshooting guides for diesel issues if you dig deeper on the forum.

11. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks. Not got a code reader for this car. Had one for my last car (Mondeo) but doesn't fit this car.
    Will look into getting one.
    Cheers

Ichiban likes this.
  12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Aye it's a bit of a bugger compared to other cars. Easier if you remove the battery and the retaining bolts for the air filter housing and also loosen the clip from the air filter housing to the turbo inlet pipe just after the MAF sensor which will then allow you to move the housing enough to get access to the MAF.

Electrical contact cleaner only and make sure it's dry before reconnecting. As cj says it is super delicate so don't touch the internals with anything other than the spray and even with that don't go too close, let the cleaner do the work chemically.

Also don't drop the MAF sensor, I'm even very careful when laying it down.

Important component though and can effect performance and economy if it's dirty or faulty, although I'd assume the latter would through up a code?