Fuel Efficiency Better fuel economy

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by lefty, Friday 17th Oct, 2014.

1. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have just changed my driving style to see if I could improve my fuel economy, from changing when the green light on the dash tells me to (6th gear just after 30mph) to driving "normally"
    Guess what - my fuel economy has gone up from 33mpg (as the Honda states it should do!) to an impressive 35mpg - I run the 2.4 petrol gen 8.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's good to hear. I guess if your normally quite heavy footed then following the green light will help improve the economy but a computer can never match human judgement so if your consciously driving economically you should be able to fair better than the computer.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I find that computed consumption shown is 2 to 3 MPG more than calculated value.

After recent service where Honda 5W 30 Honda oil was put in by main dealer, & manual gearbox oil change, calculated consumption has increased from 31.5 to 33.5 MPG on regular 10 miles A road + 5 miles city trips with my 2.4 EXi.

Climate control run for at least 10 minutes on every trip as car not used every day. Gear change indicator used for guidance not slavishley followed.

Consumption will increase next year when Honda dealer will be using 0W 20 Honda engine oil.

4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Correction, MPG will increase when 0W 20 oil used

5. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My computer is a few MPGS over what it actually is, but I like to try and get it as high as I can, unfortunately with the colder weather coming it will start to drop.
    I changed over to 0w30 oil on the last service (3000miles ago) and I didn't notice much differance then, maybe it takes time? Still thinking about going over to 0w20, I know that spec oil is very well liked on this forum!

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Give it a try mate, made a noticeable difference for me!

7. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    702 miles travelled. 34 miles left to do.
    60% approx 70MPH on cruise control with and without climate control use.
    40% at 50mph with no A/C use.
    If I get a chance to do a total extra urban journey at 50 mph, I believe I could achieve the magic 800 miles on one tank of diesel on my tubby Honda Accord Ex 2.2 I-DTEC Tourer (one heavy car)
    20141221_145704.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What type of Diesel did you use any snake oil , additives ?etc that will give us more of an idea how this was achieved?

9. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    No additives and Asda diesel.

Dear Ichiban, it is primarily about an extremely disciplined driving technique and very little fast and furiousing, lol

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ASDA fuel !! I can't believe it that fuel is more bio crap than petroleum it barely /just meets the standard for diesel fuel in this country..

I am for all discipline driving bud how on earth did TDK get higher its has to be on decent diesel. I can say you do the same with premium diesel you will achieve higher.

11. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    As I don't possess a probe and science lab to determine the quality of diesel, I just go for the lowest price (when possible)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Quote from another forum with which I agree. "I really don't understand what these "supermarket fuels" threads are on about; fuel must be sold that meets BSxxxx and engines are designed to run on it. Supermarket fuel ought to be "fresher" too - they sell a lot more of it."

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It would be interesting to see if turning off the VSA improves MPG also?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Diesel fuel don't not go stale like ethanol based petrol so that utter BS volumes makes fresher diesel ..LOL its like saying leave your tap running for 10 hours the 11th hour water will be free from impurities. LOL.